AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source for Yugo M76 receivers? I know Century is still building them, but they won't respond to emails. I also found Wise Lite selling seconds, but I'm not real thrilled with paying over $200 for a receiver that needs a bunch more work. AWO is no longer selling receivers.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
M76 receivers are very scarce. The Wiselites can be pretty rough looking., though I'm sure they can be cleaned up.. Not sure what the current Wiselite offering looks like as the pic on the Wiselite site is not very revealing. Assume these are NOS as I do not think they have produced any in 4 years or so., nor has anyone else. AFAIK.
I have one of the Wiselites and it has a lot of mill chatter and oddly shaped lightening cuts. I have not built it.

The ORF/AWO receivers are a finer mill finish though most do not have the original shaped lightening cuts. May need some tweaks but wok well.
A reweld with a front stub and some of the Apex cut receivers could work as an alternative as noted above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is a Patterson... 2010 vintage... very happy with it. My smith had no problems with the receiver other than the fire / safe detents were in the wrong position. Nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. FWIW, the gunbroker auction is exactly what I paid for my receiver 3 1/2 years ago. Not many of these things floating around anymore...

Some pics of before and after assembly here.... http://www.theakforum.net/forums/97-piece-history-firearms/161939-m76-rig-just-finished-mario.html

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Mine is a Patterson... 2010 vintage... very happy with it. My smith had no problems with the receiver other than the fire / safe detents were in the wrong position. Nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. FWIW, the gunbroker auction is exactly what I paid for my receiver 3 1/2 years ago. Not many of these things floating around anymore...

Some pics of before and after assembly here.... http://www.theakforum.net/forums/97-piece-history-firearms/161939-m76-rig-just-finished-mario.html
Mario did a lot of cranking on that receiver. That did not come cheap for the smith work.
Looks great., mill work and engraving and set trigger etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm... I don't seem to remember him saying he had to do "a lot of cranking". I'll have to ask him to refresh my memory when I pickup the AK-74 he is building for me. At any rate quality work doesn't come cheap if you are having someone else do it like I did. No way I could have put it together with the same results.

One can still put together one of these M76's... I don't see how you get around the expense of the parts to make it happen though. 4 years ago the kits were not cheap from ORF. Be nice to see some kits magically appear on the market again. Machinist's don't throw away CNC programs... so receivers and barrels (currently available at Green Mountain's website) can be built again. I'd sure like to do another... well, Mario build me another :D, ... maybe in .308....

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Hmm... I don't seem to remember him saying he had to do "a lot of cranking". I'll have to ask him to refresh my memory when I pickup the AK-74 he is building for me. At any rate quality work doesn't come cheap if you are having someone else do it like I did. No way I could have put it together with the same results.

One can still put together one of these M76's... I don't see how you get around the expense of the parts to make it happen though. 4 years ago the kits were not cheap from ORF. Be nice to see some kits magically appear on the market again. Machinist's don't throw away CNC programs... so receivers and barrels (currently available at Green Mountain's website) can be built again. I'd sure like to do another... well, Mario build me another :D, ... maybe in .308....
That is one of the later Wiselite receivers with the properly cut lightening mill work in the side if you compare it to the one from the GB auction. The correction of the selector detents, the selector engraving and the receiver engraving, the finish, custom FCG install are all extra build work. Mario does great work but not cheap. Sounds like you are well satisfied as you should be., excellent looking M76..
No one has stepped up to make M76 receivers since ORF and Wiselite/Patterson stepped away. The kits are still around at AWO and Century. AWO is still building rifles in 8mm, .308 and 30'06. I just purchased a Yugo M77 in .308. It is a sporter but I'm converting it to more milspec. They are stamped., slant cut, 1.5mm bulged trunnion receivers. Interesting firearm. The cost and availability of 8mm ammunition is one reason. At 50 cents a round it is a bit pricey to shoot vs say 54r.
I live close to the former ORF facility. I dealt with Todd in cash & carry to get several Yugo M76 kits, scopes, parts etc., (several with original Yugo barrels which are more scarce) and receivers etc. I have built up several. They are nice., a little tweaking required on the receivers which created some head scratching. I also built one as a short barreled version at 18 inches. Handy and nice shooter.

Yugoslavian AK-M76

I just purchased a Yugo M77 Sporter in .308. It is a sporter but I'm converting it to more milspec. They are stamped., slant cut, 1.5mm bulged trunnion receivers. Interesting firearm. The cost and availability of 8mm ammunition is one reason. At 50 cents a round it is a bit pricey to shoot vs say 54r.

M77>
http://www.firearmsforsale.com/cent...rearms/rifles/cent-pap-308win-10rd-thumbhole/

Starting to milspec it some>

Slant cut filler plate prior to weld up>

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Those M77s seem interesting. Other than the furniture (and slant receiver) what really needs done to this to bring them to ".mil" level? Are mags hard to find?

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Those M77s seem interesting. Other than the furniture (and slant receiver) what really needs done to this to bring them to ".mil" level? Are mags hard to find?
Not that much., or shoot it "as is"
Cut the tack weld and release muzzle nut (add slotted type brake like original if desired)
Remove front sight base pin and add plunger and spring for brake plunger
Fashion filler plate and weld to receiver rear., smooth & refinish
Create rear sling swivel in buttock or other means for rear sling fitment.
Mod M14 mags for fitment
Add cleaning rod retainer ring on barrel (still looking for this part., possibly from RPK but likely too large diameter.)
Century sells 10 round mags for $28 ea.. Original 20's are $$$

Milspec>

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the heads up on the receiver. I've been watching Gunbroker, but somehow missed that one. Now nobody bid against me and I might be set. :cool:

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the receiver. I've been watching Gunbroker, but somehow missed that one. Now nobody bid against me and I might be set. :cool:

Thanks,
Nathan

Did you get that Gunbroker receiver? I see the bid closed. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check out the Galil bayonet lug Apex sells for the leaning rod holder and bayonet lug The hole for the rod is in a place of solid metal where a simple drill bit does the hole hen you have an bayonet lug also like the military guns, albeit AR-15 lug but easily modified to AK-47 or left AR-15. The barrel OD at mounting point and hole in Galil lug is PERFECT size!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts