AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find M76 furniture or at least some off a different gun that will fit it? I want to start a refinishing project, but don't want to ruin the original wood on the rifle.

I have tried looking everywhere I know of, but no dice.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
M76 furniture is oil finished.
Unless you are going to stain or apply other unusual finish., some BLO or TruOil will enhance and protect the original look.
From what I've seen, the boiled linseed oil will provide a slightly darker finish, and I've read that is what is traditionally used. I used Truoil on my rifles and it worked well, also. They are both great options, and no fear of making a mistake with them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm planning on doing some tiger tripping over a dark ruby red stain with a high gloss finish. That's why I wanted a new set to work on rather than my original haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've seen, the boiled linseed oil will provide a slightly darker finish, and I've read that is what is traditionally used. I used Truoil on my rifles and it worked well, also. They are both great options, and no fear of making a mistake with them.
I'm planning on doing something like this but with a ruby red finish. You think that would be easy or should I have someone do it professionally? (My experience is very low).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Staining really is easy. But, it's only one process. The wood needs to be very clean and free of excess oils. That's the hard part.. It depends on your particular peices. Set them out in the sun and see if they "bleed" out oil and cosmoline.

You can do any and all of this. Look up some videos on youtube and practice on some small pieces of scrap. You'll do fine.

If you still have some questions I'm sure someone more experienced here will help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
check inronwood designs as they sell fresh us made furniture that is not oiled or stained.
Yeah I looked into their stuff.. It seems like they have stuff for all of the other Yugos and not the M76 except for a buttstock haha.

·
Technical Advisor
15,447 Posts
Each to their own.
IMHO the attempts at red furniture look fake and add nothing to the looks of a firearm.
But that is just my .02. Each to their own.

Spend the $175-$250 on some high quality 8 mm ammo.

I own and shoot several M76 rifles I built.
Nice shooters and can be quite accurate.

I cut one down to 18 inches AKM76 style.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Each to their own.
IMHO the attempts at red furniture look fake and add nothing to the looks of a firearm.
But that is just my .02. Each to their own.

Sornd the $175-$250 on some high quality 8 mm ammo.

I own and shoot several M76 rifkes I built.
Nice shooters and cam be quite accurate.

I cut one down to 18 inches AKM76 style.
Yeah I definitely like the factory wood.. But I do appreciate a beautifully refinished furniture set. That's why I want a new set that I can change and keep my original set.

By chance would you know how to buy some small part replacements? I have found some wood, but I can't seem to find the furrele for the handguard

·
Technical Advisor
15,447 Posts
No other loweR that fits AFAIK.

Didn't Wolfman Reid offer a handguard set?

Or contact AWO.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I believe the M70 and M76 use the same upper HG as well. Funny AKBlue mentioned Assault Weapons of Ohio. I remember snagging an M76 stock from them a few years back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No other loweR that fits AFAIK.

Didn't Wolfman Reid offer a handguard set?

Or contact AWO.
Yep I bought it... Still looking for a stock though

I believe the M70 and M76 use the same upper HG as well. Funny AKBlue mentioned Assault Weapons of Ohio. I remember snagging an M76 stock from them a few years back.
Heh I emailed them, but no response. How much did you pay if you remember?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts