AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rifle, hand pick, from Classic arrived Monday.
Shot 100 or so rnds of Golden Tiger on Tuesday.
Cleaned and lubed entire rifle EXCEPT gas tube.
Now GT is real corrody and won't come clean.
Used alternate brush/ patch with ammonia/water mix, non chlorinated brake cleaner as well as S&W Bore and Action Cleaner.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hope my laziness didn't cause a serious problem.
Tnx guys.
afanak74 :sad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
My guess is that the gas tube was corroded long ago from all of that corrosive ammo that the Yugoslavian army used over the years. You probably didn't notice it at first because it was covered by carbon. The best you can do is clean and lube the affected area and continue to use noncorrosive ammo in it. Some people will reparkerize the GT but you will still have the pitting. I doubt you will have any operational problems as a result of the prior corrosion. If you are like me you just don't like the idea of corrosion existing anywhere on your rifle but unfortunately with the parts kit Yugos it is just a common occurance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx for your prompt reply.
I am a "Clean Freak" especially when it comes to my weapons.
Think you are 100% correct in that GT was corroded long before I got it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah! I'm the same way. It probably came from the military always telling us that a clean weapon is a dependable weapon. As a side note, every once in a while someone will have Yugo gas tubes for sale here under the " for sale" heading. You may be able to find a GT in better condition. Take care and good shooting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts