AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always thought about getting an RPK style gun, but don't know much about them and haven't seen many which is unusual in my neck of the woods as we usually get about everything.

Anyway, see the M72 from Classic and it looks like a good price. However, what am I getting?

Is it a decent recreation of a real RPK or just a bunch of parts thrown together?

Also, do these have the rear sling mount? I believe they should be on the receiver.

Finally, do they have threaded barrels or bayonet mounts? It is even correct for them to have them?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
About two months ago I purchased a Yugo RPK from Classic Arms,and it's the one built by Century,it came with the cleaning rod (which even many kits don't bring,and is definitely longer then a regular AK),it came with the original bipod,one 30rd mag and one 40rd mag,the rear sling swivel was there as well,attached to the left side of the receiver,RPKs don't take a bayonet,so there's no bayonet mount,I don't know if the barrel is screwed or not,but it is a new barrel,also comes with the rear sight that has windage and elevation adjustments,it is to my believe a very well executed sample of the Yugo RPK,the only thing I had to do was to straighten the windage adjustment knob which seems to have been slightly bent in transit,but I did so and it came out perfect,it has a very good finish,I hope this info helps answer your questions. :grin:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got my M72 from a builder at a gunshow, it has a Nodak 1.6mm reciever, there is a side mounted sling that fits into a slot on side opposite the bolt. Mine is mounted vertically and I have since gotten used to its use mounted in this manner. You will find that nearly all other AK slings are too short for this riflel. The Russian padded sling fits perfect they are available from time to time. The Russian sling measure 1-3/8" wide making it a tight fit on my sling attachment. The RPK sling mount is mounted through the slot then tabs are bent down securing the mount to the rifle. I unbent the tabs, pulled out the mount, opened up the band of metal and swapped out the RPK ring for one off a KVAR stock which oddly is wide enough to accept the strap easily and reinstalled the swivel, etc. Works great and the padded strap is very comfortable.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Fearless 51,get yourself a rear sling swivel for a Russian SKS 45 or Chinese SKS 56,they're wide as for the Russian RPK sling,I got mine from Numrich real cheap,and use the same attachment that comes with your M72,I did mine like that,and the sling goes in as if was made for it. :grin:

·
Registered
519 Posts
The sling loop off the KVAR stock was a lead pipe cinch, sling slides through it like butta. Thanks for the heads-up anyway...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts