AK Rifles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i`m new to AK`s, so please be gentle. Today i picked up a M70AB2T from my FFL. I was kinda in a hurry and didn`t have time to inspect it at the shop. A few minutes ago i took it out of the box to fondel / inspect it and everything checked good except that the top receiver/dust cover has quiet a bit of side to side play. It rattles if i shake the gun. My WASR 10 doesn`t have this play at all. At any rate, is there an easy fix for this? And if so, could you guys please advise me on how to remedy this problem? I really don`t want to go through the hassle of sending it back if i can help it, especially if it can be fixed by me with alittle coaching. Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

· Registered
3,540 Posts
That is the slabside 1mm receiver model, right? If so, it's possible they used a cover from a bulged trunnion variant. They might be a bit wider than the the one for the slabside. Although, there might not be a difference between the 2. I would have to pull my parts out to compare.

Regardless, try to squeeze the sides together to make it narrower. You won't break the top cover or anything. You would just want to massage the metal to make it a little more narrow. You would try to put it in a vice and squeeze it gently or use a rubber mallet.

It's definitely not worth the hassle and expense of sending it back

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir for the reply. I was thinking the same thing after my initial post. I took the cover off and sqeezed it with my bare hands to see if that would make a difference. To my surprise it did take a little of the play out. I might try the vise trick out tomorrow and see if takes a little more of the slop away. Again, thanks for the info.

· Registered
3,540 Posts
I hope it works for you. I have found the need to bend many dust covers a little bit one way or the other to make them fit. Sometimes they are too long or short to fit correctly and need the back of the cover bent in or out.

If that does not fix your problem, post here and we can figure something else out.

· Banned
16,199 Posts
The slabside and the bulged receiver have the same receiver cover as thev outside dimension of the receivers is the same. It is the lighter weight type vs the milled receiver cover. As advised a little "squeeze" should fix it as normally the Yugo's are pretty snug with the receiver cover lock adding more stability as well.

· Registered
3,540 Posts
AKBLUE said:
The slabside and the bulged receiver have the same receiver cover as thev outside dimension of the receivers is the same. It is the lighter weight type vs the milled receiver cover. As advised a little "squeeze" should fix it as normally the Yugo's are pretty snug with the receiver cover lock adding more stability as well.
The slabside has the same style receiver cover as the RPK type. They both are the stamped type--not the kind used on milled rifles. I should have realized outside receiver dimensions are the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.