AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen/ can provide a pic of Zastava factory or domestic (cloned) rails for the M70AB2 other than the ones PA distributing sells? I'm interested in variations that were used in the early 80s (1983 specifically). I am guessing that the M89 scope was not in service then... so the positioning and style may vary from the ones available thru PA Distrib that may have become standard later.

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
The various rails I have pictures on in the Yugoslavian manuals for the milled and early AK's are fir night vision devices. Not for magnified daytime optics. Assuming the later was used in the late 1980's for optics like the M89 etc.?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The various rails I have pictures on in the Yugoslavian manuals for the milled and early AK's are fir night vision devices. Not for magnified daytime optics. Assuming the later was used in the late 1980's for optics like the M89 etc.?
Yeah it seems to be a trend I'm noticing, that most countries only used NV on their AKs until the mid to late 80s (thinking East Germans and Yugos... I have also heard the Bulgys only used NV, never a dedicated daytime optic). I have read on other threads where people call into question whether or not the JNA issued scopes on their M70s, but the manuals I have seen seem to confirm that they did in at least limited quantities. Also, I assume that if Zrak made scopes cammed for the M67 round (ON-series and M89) then they would have been for something military. The latter model may have been accepted in 1989, so there is no telling how many were produced and/or used in the few years before the breakup of the republic started... the earliest examples I have seen of the M89 optic circulating in the US have been dated 1992 and that was the year Bosnia declared independence from Yugoslavia... if full scale production didnt happen before the breakup, it seems doubtful that the JNA would have had many around. I dont know if the ON-2 or the ON-M76 series scopes were issued in versions cammed for the M67 round, but for the mounts I have seen, none would work on the AB2s... but perhaps these were fielded on the B1s before the M89? Does anyone know if the eye relief varies between the ON-M76 and the M89? Would a rail need to be located in different places to properly position the optics?

·
Technical Advisor
15,507 Posts
I have both M76 and M89. No noticeable difference in eye relief. The ON2 mounts were found on the SKS as field expedient as were the M89.
The M76 does have x39 cams as well as 54r and .308. Impossible to find in the USA..

I put a M76 on a modified Yugo M70 I put together and dubbed the XM66A for fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts