AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference in the two? Was looking at a thread of a seller who has both milled types & I can't see anything obvious. I have a Yugo milled front end I am prepping to build, Would be a good idea to know which it is.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No, - M70s can be milled. M70B1s and M70AB2s are stamped.

I believe M64 is the earlier model milled Yugo, sort of like type 2 whereas the M70 is like their type 3. The rear stub is supposed to have a different stock attachment, but many of the kits that came in shipped with regular M70 rear stubs. They are also supposed to lack the lightening cuts on the receiver if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
m64 threaded barrel, "bulge on the left side to accomidate the BHO lever. A "hat" bolt lower left front of mag well, shelf down left side of recevier just below the dust cover (think Type II rusky)

M70 milled has a press and pin barrel and a flat left side.

yugos only have the lightning cuts on the right, no left side cuts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one has the lightening cut on the right side & is flat surfaced on the left. I did not notice any bulges anywhere for a BHO device. From what you guys have said, this seems to be an M70. So strange to have so many different types within a single AK variant. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the key is the barrel pin is it there or does the barrel flare out where it meets the receiver?

no barrel pin = 64, barrel pin= 70

·
Banned
460 Posts
apex has milled m70 kits minus the rear butstock for $130.get a receiver from orf for $230,butstock from ironwood for $88 and have a milled yugo battle rifle for about $400

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well , I read in one AK book that M64 had a 500 mm barrel , a different mag than AKs (not interchangable) , M64A had 415 mm barrel and AK mags , M64B - "A" with folding stock. After year 1970 , all M64A became M70 and M64B became M70A... source Kalashnikov Machine Pistols by John Walter

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scaldwellk, thanks a lot for the pics, I definitely have an M70. upon close inspection of the small parts in the kit, the TG has been installed on a rifle, but has no mag catch, pin, spring, or even the hole for it. Nor was anything but the grip nut on the receiver rear end stub?????

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If the grip nut was the only thing on the rear stub, are you missing the top cover lock?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that you mention it, yes, I am. I almost regret this one, fortunately this one does have a really good barrel. What a pain in the arse trying to track all these small items. Got any ideas of where to find one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts