AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about an M64 threaded barrel build. Any tips on torquing barrel? I found a torque value of 120#. Thought about holding barrel in a vise with aluminum jaws and using a large adjustable wrench with a socket welded to the wrench to provide a place to attach a torque wrench. Use the adjustable wrench on the receiver right at the front where it has plenty of thickness to keep from distorting. Going to need to do the procedure several times to get headspace so it needs to be clean and easy. The other thought was to mill flats on the barrel seating flange and use a similar arrangement on a wrench. Difference would be the receiver would be held in the vise. Red Loctite on the barrel threads? Any help or hints appreciated.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would buy a proper barrel vice from Brownells or somewhere. They come with different sized bushings.
Yes sir. I have a soft fixture for AK barrels to use in vise. I do all my barrel population work with it. The fixture with a machinist level on the mill and it makes notching and pinning easy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do something similar to the OP for torqueing barrels.
I hold the barrel in aluminum jaws clamped in my 20T shop press and turn the receiver with a 18" long adjustable wrench. I put gorilla tape on the wrench jaws to help avoid marring the receiver.
I don't use a torque wrench. Typically once the barrel contacts the receiver, it'll rotate approx 1.5 'hours' with force (i.e. imagine a complete revolution is 12 hours like a clock). Once it stops moving I use about 100lbs of force on the wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts