AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Got my order in for a M-64, now all I need is a M-76.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Ya'll do realize that these are milled receivers, right? We're talking some highly-skilled work here, unless you're just going to gring down the trunnions to fit in a stamped receiver. I have three milled-receiver AK's and I am not looking forward to making them nearly as much as I do my stamped kits. Since one has a pressed and pinned barrel, I'm just going to junk the receiver stubs and use some extra Yugoslavian trunnions I have in the shop.

That reminds me - I have to get stuff off the floor. Gustav's coming, and he sounds pissed.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I was thinking about getting mine build by a shop somewhere. But is it really that much more difficult than a stamped build? I assumed all you had to do was press the barrel in a new receiver and rivet the trigger guard (am I wrong?). I thought the reason people didn't buy milled kits is that the receivers are ~$250-$300.
On another note, does anyone know a good builder for milled kits ? (not looking for a reweld)

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
jonpo said:
I was thinking about getting mine build by a shop somewhere. But is it really that much more difficult than a stamped build? I assumed all you had to do was press the barrel in a new receiver and rivet the trigger guard (am I wrong?). I thought the reason people didn't buy milled kits is that the receivers are ~$250-$300.
On another note, does anyone know a good builder for milled kits ? (not looking for a reweld)
Setting the headspace can be a real bitch.....

·
Registered
556 Posts
Templar said:
Especially with an M64 kit. These have the threaded barrels. The barrels from the M70 milled kits will work with stamped receiver trunnions, but the headspace will still need to be set.

I picked up a few of the stockless kits they had a while back. They were all in good overall condition. Not perfect, but good bores and all the lightening cuts were intact. One even had enough receiver stub to contain the selector markings.

If those M64s were fixed stock I would be all over it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Cassini said:
Templar said:
Especially with an M64 kit. These have the threaded barrels. The barrels from the M70 milled kits will work with stamped receiver trunnions, but the headspace will still need to be set.

I picked up a few of the stockless kits they had a while back. They were all in good overall condition. Not perfect, but good bores and all the lightening cuts were intact. One even had enough receiver stub to contain the selector markings.

If those M64s were fixed stock I would be all over it.
Cassini you were at the April AK shoot at Tac Pro right? If it was you then I got to see a weld up you did of a m64 correct? It was clean, I've had the idea of doing one of those since I've seen yours. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my-rifle said:
Ya'll do realize that these are milled receivers, right? We're talking some highly-skilled work here, unless you're just going to gring down the trunnions to fit in a stamped receiver. I have three milled-receiver AK's and I am not looking forward to making them nearly as much as I do my stamped kits. Since one has a pressed and pinned barrel, I'm just going to junk the receiver stubs and use some extra Yugoslavian trunnions I have in the shop.

That reminds me - I have to get stuff off the floor. Gustav's coming, and he sounds pissed.
A milled M70 is way easier than a stamped
M64 - it depends on how you build it (new receiver or weld)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Templar said:
On M64

·
Registered
556 Posts
Tyrvidar said:
Cassini you were at the April AK shoot at Tac Pro right? If it was you then I got to see a weld up you did of a m64 correct? It was clean, I've had the idea of doing one of those since I've seen yours. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was there, but what I had was an M70 reweld, and a Hungarian reweld. That was actually test fire day for both of those rifles. They still run perfect.

Here is my daughter shooting it just last weekend

·
Registered
556 Posts
dyi said:
IMO, a milled reweld is more work than a stamped build. Maybe you are referring to using a new milled receiver?

Other than fit and finish with the funky lightening cuts, an M64 should not be much different to reweld than anyother milled kit. I have one UF M64 kit with plates ready to go now, I just have not had time to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Cassini said:
Tyrvidar said:

I was there, but what I had was an M70 reweld, and a Hungarian reweld. That was actually test fire day for both of those rifles. They still run perfect.

Here is my daughter shooting it just last weekend
haha Tom bean huh, I like it up there. Yeah, they were nice man. I'll snag one of these kits up. You gotta give me pointers when I start this baby up.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cassini said:
dyi said:
IMO, a milled reweld is more work than a stamped build. Maybe you are referring to using a new milled receiver?

Other than fit and finish with the funky lightening cuts, an M64 should not be much different to reweld than anyother milled kit. I have one UF M64 kit with plates ready to go now, I just have not had time to mess with it.
M70 on a new receiver.

Demil trigger guard
Press out barrel
Press in barrel
Headspace
Drill and press pin
Rivet trigger guard
Transfer rear stock

Vs stamped you save time to: demil front and rear trunions, rivet front and rear trunions.

But of course it costs more. :sad: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would agree with that dyi, except for the fact that a new milled receiver would have so much fondling time, it probably wouldn't be any quicker to build.

Tyrvidar, maybe we should plan a day to go shoot in Tom Bean. Its been pretty vacant the past few trips I have made up there. It would be cool to get some of the locals together. I know there was talk of another Tacpro shoot, but thats considerably farther for me, as Tom Bean is only about 45 minutes away.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Dyi is it you that had the reweld plates for these? If so PM me with details, i'm going to order one of these kits tomorrow. I'd like to weld one up, are there any online tutorials on milled rewelds?? McM

1 - 20 of 35 Posts