AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on the forum have any opinion on Springfields M1a's? I love the look and feel of their rifles and would like to have one by deer season. While I've been searching the net for opinions, I've come across both positive and negative feedback. Ya'll know how the internet is, asses and elbows, everybody has em' and opinions are no different. I'm afraid I have to come back here (THE Forum) to get some honest opinions.
I'm looking at the standard model with the mossy oak stock. I can pick one up on gunbroker for just under $1300. My old man thinks I'm nuts, but there's just something about hunting with those evil rifles that really turns me on. Besides, I might need the extra firepower in case of bears, mountain lions, zombies, abominable snowmen, or maybe a sudden invasion of San Fransisco hippies that parachute in..........Arkansas. :50cal: Anyways, let me hear your opinions and see your pics. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
OK. I'll go first. I have a SA M1A "Loaded" model with NM front sight and a air gauged barrel. I bought it several years ago and I love it. The only issue I had was a doubling problem that was solved when I returned it to SA. It's not entirely made from GI parts but it doesn't make any difference to target on the other end of the gun. Accurate and dependable. Like they say "A rifleman's rifle!" Get one. You won't regret it! :grin:

G

·
0 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that their quailty is kind of sporadic.
I still have an older M1A bush rifle I bought back in the very early nineties. This gun has most of the GI parts and has been very reliable over the years.

However, I've bought a couple more M1As from Springfield over the last several years. One was a full size loaded model that had horrible functioning problems despite 2 trips back to Springfield. The other was a shorty SOCOM that functioned great. Go figure. Springfield has good customer service but I don't think I'd take the chance if I ever wanted another M1A type rifle.

So if given a choice I'd search out an older SA M1A (I'm not sure of the SN break but I'm sure someone will chime in with it) or I'd forsake Springfield entirely and get a Fulton Armory or a Chinese Norinco/Polytech M14 thats been redone with a GI bolt and heat treating to the receiver.

Another choice, which would be the best, is the LRB Arms M14 which makes a forged receiver but they are very pricy.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Believe it or not, the Chinese guns are nicely done. If things start to wear just swap out parts. Older Springfield guns are nice where they use more USGI parts. IF I could lay my hands on it and check the parts I would be find buying a Springfield.

Spooky

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Springfield can put out some lemons, BUT, they have some of the best C.S. in the industry.

I'd also look for an older one. The more G.I. parts on the rifle the better.

The current crop are using non chrome lined commercial barrels with .308 Win. chambers, so they might not like all the 7.62 NATO surplus out there. The bolts have been commercial for years, but they're forged, not cast, and no issues there.

I would change the extractor out from the commercial one to a GI one asap, as there have been some pretty wide spread reports (and I've seen it myself) of the commercial extractor cracking and then the bolt comes apart.

They're good, reliable rifles by and large, scoping them isn't cheap, and do yourself a favor and don't go cheap on the mounting, or you'll probably get dissatisfied and have to buy a decent mount (not Springfield) all over again after buying a Springfield mount.

Hope that helps. I've sold all my M14/M1A type rifles, and I prefer FAL's, but my dad still has his Springfield M1A and it's a beautiful, rugged, robust rifle.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Love my M1A .. Early Federal Ordance - All TRW parts. I would LOVE to add a NM Springfield to my stable at some point. I would pick one up without concern and replace a few of the parts that were recommended here and elsewhere. BTW - I've had several FAL's - Just weren't my thing.

I went with a SADLAK mount and topped it with a Millet.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The M14 (M1A) is my favorite rifle & caliber of all. (AK's are a close second though). The only one I have now is a much older ('76 or '77) 4 digit SA. Fantastic rifle! I concur with the others about finding an older one if possible. I think the newer SA M1A's can be hit or miss.
I've had no problems with mine at all. It runs like a striped ass ape!
I also have owned a couple of nice FAL's. They have a well deserved rep but I prefer the M14 (M1a).
Around here people tend to prefer the FAL, I think it is too heavy, at least it feels heavier to me.
Yep, me too. Good luck with your hunt. :smile:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Exotic-Toys said:
Kenelm52 said:
The best... LRB Arms M-14... http://lrbarms.com/rifles1.html

Or roll the dice and try an SA M1A.
I agree LRB is probably the best..but IMHO SA is FAR from a roll of the dice.
:oops:

I'll go ahead and agree that I overstated it with the useage of "roll of the dice". Let me re-word it... out of the box, a new production SA in stock form, needs a few upgrades before I can trust it to be 100% reliable. That's my personal opinion mixed with some experiences witnessed first hand... take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Kenelm52 said:
Exotic-Toys said:
Kenelm52 said:

I'll go ahead and agree that I overstated it with the useage of "roll of the dice". Let me re-word it... out of the box, a new production SA in stock form, needs a few upgrades before I can trust it to be 100% reliable. That's my personal opinion mixed with some experiences witnessed first hand... take that for what it's worth.
Fair enough... What's the wait time / price on a LRB these days?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Kenelm52 said:
Exotic-Toys said:
Kenelm52 said:

Somewhere in between you recommending the $2000 M1As and saying that the $1200 ones "need work" I realized that M1As are a PITA!!!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Exotic-Toys said:
Kenelm52 said:
Exotic-Toys":iti39sur][quote=Kenelm52]The best... LRB Arms M-14... [url="http://lrbarms.com/rifles1.html said:
http://lrbarms.com/rifles1.html[/url]

Fair enough... What's the wait time / price on a LRB these days?[/quote:iti39sur]

Good point... last I heard, 6-8 months for an LRB.

Price... you get what you pay for, just over 2 G's. LRB vs SA is like BM vs Noveske. 90% (+) of gun owners wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, outwardly or performance wise.

·
Registered
607 Posts
brandyspaw said:
I think the biggest problem is that their quailty is kind of sporadic.
Yes. Springfield has made some lemons.

Spooky130 said:
Believe it or not, the Chinese guns are nicely done.
My favorite right out of the box. There is no better value in the M14 world than the Chinese M14.

Templar said:
Springfield can put out some lemons, BUT, they have some of the best C.S. in the industry.

I'd also look for an older one. The more G.I. parts on the rifle the better.
My problematic Scout was a POS out of the box. It was built without any USGI parts, but it ended up with a TRW bolt, op rod and trigger group after 4 warranty repairs courtesy of SA's C.S. and excellent custom shop :smile:

Delta-3 said:
The M14 (M1A) is my favorite rifle & caliber of all. (AK's are a close second though).
M14s & AKs :twisted:

My favorite M14s are Poly Tech and Norinco receivers that I have had Smith Enterprise, Inc. custom build for me.
The first two were heel stamped Norincos with all USGI TRW bolts, op rods and trigger groups, 18.0" SEI barrels with other SEI parts and SAGE EBR stocks.

My most cost effective builds occurred on this pair of heel stamped Poly Tech receivers.
They both have USGI TRW bolts, ChiCom op rods and trigger groups, 22.0" SEI barrels with SEI gas cylinders.
One of these is in a SAGE EBR and the other has several different USGI stocks for it.

I would look at LRB receivers for SEI to build up on if Chinese M14s were suddenly un-available.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anybody have an opinion on the best mount for an aimpoint?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
bthorn said:
anybody have an opinion on the best mount for an aimpoint?
Smith Enterprises, Sadlak, and the ARMS #18 are good.

The aluminum mounts that Springfield sold aren't highly regarded by guys who actually use their rifles a bunch.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts