AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I sold a couple years ago.

This was used as a training aid for EIB testing at Ft Bragg when I was in my first hitch in the Army. It was demilled by EOD guys who pried open the mine's body, scraped the explosive out, then glued the back on again.

It wasn't a controlled item, and they were everywhere, so after the annual EIB testing was over (successful!) I mailed it home to my parents house as a souvenir.

A complete set in the pouch comes with wire on a reel with a blasting cap on one end, an M40 circuit tester, an M57 Firing Device, and the mine itself. This set is missing the M40, the wire reel, both shipping plugs for the mine, and the blasting cap.

Like most Army equipment, they try to make it "GI -proof" by including instructions. The formal procedure for setting it up is long and convoluted, and I recall it being one of the tasks with a high failure-rate.

Currently the Army uses a dedicated replica Claymore mine, called the M-33, for training instead of demilled real ones. That is what you commonly see for sale on eBay, and it is molded in blue plastic and says "PRACTICE" and "M-33" on the back. (Oddly enough, many of the M-33's wind up spray-painted green and the seller doesn't show a picture of the back.)

Those practice mines are also lacking the real guts of the mine: the plastic matrix with approximately 700 steel spheres embedded in it. There was 1 1/2 pounds of composition C4 packed behind this when it came from the factory. This is an anti-personnel mine, and when detonated, those steel BB's are thrown forward like big shotgun blast.

The backing was a little chewed-up when the EOD pried it off, and the residue of the explosive left in the interior has melted and slightly deformed the back of the mine. (I've always loved the warning about eating the explosive.)

"FRONT TOWARD ENEMY"

-Rich

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I may be able to help you with some of your missing parts, if you are searching for them.

*just re-read that part where you sold it a couple of years ago

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I had a training Claymore afew years back......should never have traded it..always said I was going set it up on Halloween..wife always talked me out of it..she said something about Police not having a good sense of humor about that sort of stuff :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts