AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp...got started on the M63 finally, and realized I'm short a gas tube and some axis pins. Not sure how it happened, but yeah.

Anyway, anyone know where I can find a proper one? I suspect it's probably going to be spendy. Not thrilled about that.

Axis pins I'm good for, have some spares I've accumulated over the years. Just need a real early Romanian gas tube.

That being said, refinish with a proper polished hot blue or leave it with a patina? Have to use a new-manufacture Romanian barrel as it was a post-barrel-idiocy kit. If hot blue, to whom shall I send it? :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think park and black phosphate is the Romanian solution. I did it on my PLS and the receiver matched the rest of the parts exactly. Not sure the Roma parts were ever blued.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
newer firearms, sure. this stuff is *WAY* too smooth to have ever been parked. the new-production barrel is definitely not parked.

·
Registered
665 Posts
40 + year old park doesn't look much like park. I bet you could match it with Brownells rust blue. It is easy to do at home and you control the shade. There are some tricks to it and I am happy to share.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if park + steel wool will match the existing parts, i'll probably just do that to the barreled receiver.

now that all that discussion about what finish they used is out of the way, maybe we can focus on the primary reason (thus the title of the thread) for me posting this. :neutral:

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think the gas tube is the same as later models , the only big changes in early to late are in the FSB and rear trunnion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts