AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starting sequence of this movie is very cool.
It's the beginning life of some 7.62 ammo from the factory in Russia to the one bullet's final destination.
If you like crazy Nic Cage and haven't seen this flick, it's pretty entertaining.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Actually, I got an entirely different message from the movie. Most of what I got was that the people were going to do what they were going to do anyways, and in the end, as "evil" as Nicolas Cage's character was made to appear, he was also useful and neccessary to our "good" government. Really makes you think about the human condition... and if we stand a chance in the end. Heck, if there's no guns, people will use knives, if there's no knives, they'll use sticks, when there's no sticks, they'll use rocks. Such is life.

Still a pretty good movie I thought.

·
Registered
212 Posts
CaptainSKA, you said it all right there. You cannot extinguish or easily effect human nature, especially the violent nature that composes much of it. You can alter it slightly for a brief period of time but, in the end, the nature of the beast always comes through.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Very well put. Also they spend the whole time chasing the small guy when the big guy is sitting in the White House in Washington DC. This doesn't portray any particular president either. They all do it.

Anyways as to the other scene I'd rather take a 7.62 than get chopped up with a machette.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
CaptainSKA said:
Actually, I got an entirely different message from the movie. Most of what I got was that the people were going to do what they were going to do anyways, and in the end, as "evil" as Nicolas Cage's character was made to appear, he was also useful and neccessary to our "good" government. Really makes you think about the human condition... and if we stand a chance in the end. Heck, if there's no guns, people will use knives, if there's no knives, they'll use sticks, when there's no sticks, they'll use rocks. Such is life.

This was my take as well,its easy to feel a strong sense of security in this great Country of ours but the harsh realities hit you like a ton of bricks when you venture past our borders,you realize how in-significant you really are and your horrible death probably won't go much farther than the next number on a month old body count list.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The movie was VERY unrealistic with the ammunition. Did you notice that they didn't even show anything about putting the primer in? And do you really think it rolls like that on a conveyer belt? They didn't even show the rounds being paper wrapped, or boxed, or put on strippers. Also, they show the workers hammering the lid on each box of ammunition, but they don't on the one with the camera in it. It is, in reality, alot different for real ammo. But in general that was cool.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
The movie was VERY unrealistic with the ammunition. Did you notice that they didn't even show anything about putting the primer in? And do you really think it rolls like that on a conveyer belt? They didn't even show the rounds being paper wrapped, or boxed, or put on strippers. Also, they show the workers hammering the lid on each box of ammunition, but they don't on the one with the camera in it. It is, in reality, alot different for real ammo. But in general that was cool.
Yeah, as an "industry professional", I can assure you that 90% of the people in film have no idea how much other than their camera/makeup/audio equipment/stunt vehicle/fancy light works... everyone seems so focused on what they do... really, they just strive to make art and something people will want to watch. I have no doubt that someone who knows nothing about guns/ammo wrote the opening sequence. But hey, realistic or not, it was cool to watch. My wife (who's about as anti-gun as a gun lover would dare to marry) was watching the whole movie on the edge of her seat, but she really loved the opening sequence and was raving about it... until the kid got shot. She almost quit watching there... But she stuck it out and ended up really liking it when it was all said and done.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
CaptainSKA said:

+1

The only message I got from that movie is that people are [email protected]#ed up.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
JOHNO said:
This was my take as well,its easy to feel a strong sense of security in this great Country of ours but the harsh realities hit you like a ton of bricks when you venture past our borders,you realize how in-significant you really are and your horrible death probably won't go much farther than the next number on a month old body count list.
Good point. I was in the Philippines a couple of months back, and only went a couple of days without security. We even had harbor patrol following along during a ceremony on Subic Bay. In some of the places I travelled, I think it would be pure luck if my death would have even been reported to any type of authority.

Some of the security during the trip:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts