AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The first rifle - N-PAP - is a factory rifle. I.E. Manufactured in Serbia. Will have a Serbian factory non chrome lined barrel. Minor work is done in the USA (fitting of US trigger group, probably opening up the magazine well.)
The second rifle is a parts gun. I.E. it was made in the USA from a Serbian/Yugoslavian parts kit assembled on a US receiver. The barrel will be US made and almost certainly also non chrome lined. The quality of assembly is kinda a crap shoot with Century rifles..... depending on whether they did it in house or on who they farmed the work out to. Could be good, could be bad.

The first rifle is in all respects the better rifle. Factory built rifle with original receiver and barrel. The Zastava (Serb/former Yugo) factory has been building weapons a very, very long time, and they know what they are doing.

The only advantage to the second rifle is that it has a very iconic "Yugoslavian"/Serbian feature - the flip site above the gas tube for rifle grenades. Obviously not terrible important for civilian use. But if it does bother you that part can be obtained from a couple of different sources and added by a smith to your N-Pap.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Answering the first question, N-PAP would be the first choice, but the M70 AB2 is one of the few that Century got right. I honestly haven't heard anyone complain about their M70 AB2 (that statement should open a nice can of worms :) ) I have an older M70 AB2 and it is a great rifle.

The Centurion 39 is a rifle that Century brags about being 100% American. Again, I have not heard anyone complain about one they have, but a lot of people who have not owned one warning you correctly that Century has a pretty poor rep for even properly modifying imported rifle just to the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, also known as 922(r). The Century 39 avoids that by being 100% US. The big plus for the 39 is that it uses a milled receiver making it a true AK look-alike. It is also probably the lowest priced milled AK variant you can find.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Answering the first question, N-PAP would be the first choice, but the M70 AB2 is one of the few that Century got right. I honestly haven't heard anyone complain about their M70 AB2 (that statement should open a nice can of worms :) ) I have an older M70 AB2 and it is a great rifle.

The Centurion 39 is a rifle that Century brags about being 100% American. Again, I have not heard anyone complain about one they have, but a lot of people who have not owned one warning you correctly that Century has a pretty poor rep for even properly modifying imported rifle just to the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, also known as 922(r). The Century 39 avoids that by being 100% US. The big plus for the 39 is that it uses a milled receiver making it a true AK look-alike. It is also probably the lowest priced milled AK variant you can find.
Agreed, most of those that disparage the Centurion have never owned one; whereas those who do speak well of them. Just search for the online reviews of them, the vast majority are positive.

If you want a 100% made ak then go for the centurion 39. However, I or most ak owners want nothing to do with a American made ak. Let alone one built by century.
It's OK to speak for yourself, but don't go claiming "most ak owners want nothing to do with a American made ak" as you have no right to make such a statement without evidence to support that alleged claim.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My choice...

Well....I vote for the Zastava M70AB2 !!

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
It's OK to speak for yourself, but don't go claiming "most ak owners want nothing to do with a American made ak" as you have no right to make such a statement without evidence to support that alleged claim.
Why dont you start a thread with a poll in it then and TRY to prove me wrong?

As far as my right, have you ever heard of the 1st amendment? It's right before the 2nd in case you haven't heard....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been doing some research but I'm not to sure about the differences between these two...
Do you plan on using the open sights or adding optics? I can tell you that the stock on my NPAP does not lend itself well to using the irons. The comb is quite high and makes it hard to get lined up on the sights comfortably. A TRS-25 red dot on a Midway Ind. type rail mount works very well though.

·
Registered
631 Posts
As others have stated, the quality on the N-PAP is going to be better, given that the gun was built at Zastava with a hammer forged barrel. The "M70AB2T" (actually an M70AB1) lacks a hammer forged barrel, but it has the grenade sights. Ultimately, I believe it largely comes down to whether you want a variant with the grenade sights or not. I do not currently own an underfolding N-PAP, but I do own one of those "M70AB2T" rifles, and I am satisfied with it.

I am not particularly familiar with the Centurion 39. It has an appearance that may not appeal to purists, but I haven't heard anything bad about them in terms of functionality.

·
Registered
507 Posts
^ I agree. From what I've gathered, the O-PAP's come with double stack bolts - hard to pass up. Not sure on the N-PAP's but the single stack bolt on the early CAI Yugo's left a bad taste in some of our mouths (mine included).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts