AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, and still learning about AKs, and am looking into buying the above type that's advertised as "pre-ban". From what I understand, all AK's imported by Kassnar are pre-bans since the company reportedly went out of business in 1989. My problem is that I live in the very restrictive state of CT that is currently allowing the purchase of pre-ban "assault weapons" (until the politicians figure out they missed this loophole in last year's law) as long as there's proof of pre-ban status.

Here's a couple of shots of the gun I'm looking at. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to confirm that pre-ban status? Thanks in advance.

Kassnar.jpg Kassnar2.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's what I've seen in several spots. Is there any "official" documentation of that someplace? The powers that be here in CT can be tough to convince without paperwork.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Michael Kassnar is Vice President of Sales & Marketing at IWI US, Inc. His KBI and Charles Daly partnership ended on 1-29-2010. Todays Charles Daly Co. is owned by Samco Global Arms Inc. who
acquired it from a Michael Kassnar company named Trans World Arms LLC. and has been operating as such since September of 2012.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of good info. I think I should be able to get the right details if the sale goes through. Any idea what a "reasonable" market price for this type of weapon is these days?

Thx.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Lots of good info. I think I should be able to get the right details if the sale goes through. Any idea what a "reasonable" market price for this type of weapon is these days?

Thx.
Hard to say without some more details. In the current open market, I have seen your rifle sell for as little as $1050.00 well used and unfired UF's with all accessories including drum magazine for $3000.00.
From the pictures, yours looks to be in very nice condition....hope you get it for a great price...best of luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. The bidding price is at $1200 now and that's about my limit so we'll see. Should know within the next 2 days.

I did call Charles Daly and they said they didn't have any info on the AK line, only shotguns, so I'm still trying to get some additional confirmation on the manufacture date. Everyone seems to agree that it's a pre-ban, circa 1986. Just hoping I can get someplace to give me that in writing.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Thanks. The bidding price is at $1200 now and that's about my limit so we'll see. Should know within the next 2 days.

I did call Charles Daly and they said they didn't have any info on the AK line, only shotguns, so I'm still trying to get some additional confirmation on the manufacture date. Everyone seems to agree that it's a pre-ban, circa 1986. Just hoping I can get someplace to give me that in writing.
Do research with search engines and the above mentioned names. Print off several examples and just put them away. Post ban will have thumbhole stock and be KBI marked as the others have said.
It is common knowledge in the import rifle world the Kassnar / KBI time frame and this can be easily proven through electronic search.

Your LGS should have a list of approved pre-ban or there should be an online list through your local government. This would be your best solution.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like a very reasonable plan. Every search I've done has been fairly clear relative to the Kassnar Import timeframe vs. KBI. As you suggest, I'll print off some examples to keep in my "back pocket". I anticipate that the CT politicians will be closing the loophole on pre-bans that they missed when they passed the assault weapons ban last year so I'm focused on getting one before it's too late in this state. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
If you win the bid share some pictures with us. Could be the number of rifles grandfathered in originally was so small that they will not even bother with it...let's hope!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If you win the bid share some pictures with us. Could be the number of rifles grandfathered in originally was so small that they will not even bother with it...let's hope!
Unable to confirm this but I have heard that only 2 or 3000 of each model, standard stock and underfolder pre 89 Hungarians were ever imported.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Unable to confirm this but I have heard that only 2 or 3000 of each model, standard stock and underfolder pre 89 Hungarians were ever imported.
I heard it was 3000 wood stocks and 4000 folders.

BTW SA 85M stands for Semi Auto 1985 Model.

These were cut off from import before the 1989 cut off because they were coming from behind the Iron Curtain.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I heard it was 3000 wood stocks and 4000 folders.

BTW SA 85M stands for Semi Auto 1985 Model.

These were cut off from import before the 1989 cut off because they were coming from behind the Iron Curtain.
I have heard these same numbers but the UF's seem to be getting the nod as being the rarer of the two. Probably just history being rewritten by greedy sellers as we have seen before.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I have heard these same numbers but the UF's seem to be getting the nod as being the rarer of the two. Probably just history being rewritten by greedy sellers as we have seen before.
I see a lot more folders for sale than straight stocks.

I believe the story I read about the 3000/4000 stated that at that time 7000 guns was the max for a form 6 thus the number.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
The way this is starting to shape up, there could be quite a run on pre-ban rifles in CT. I have several but have not really given any thought to selling...wait and see, I guess

·
Registered
864 Posts
DinkyDeb, since the CT cutoff is 9-1994, you should also check the import dates of the KBI versions. You'll save a lot of money over a pre-89 rifle. I noticed that the FEG rifles are not listed by name or model, as the SA85 rifle listed is a Bulgy model #. The problem I see is the all encompassing AKM and AK-47 listings.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts