AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have good info on the Pre Ban Beretta AR70? Looking for something beyond the FW video about development.

Im looking for info like
  • Who the importers where? ( I know BERBEN CORP. was one)
  • Apoximent time frame of eatch importer?
  • Aproxemently how many came in, and in what configuration?
  • Differences in build components? ( I know the Berben corp, had a rear dual aperture flip sight as opposed to unknown importer having a single aperture that used a cam to move between positions.

Some of my observations include

× all came with the grenade launcher spigot attachment over the barrel extension.
× Reciver markings can vary by importer.
× Beretta used shotgun boxes for the AR70.
× Possibly only 1 shipment of around 3xxx units arrived.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately His videos don't contain the relivent information regarding the Importation by Beretta of the AR70 to the USA. Personally, I find most of the videos are for entertainment purposes only.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
A couple of other differences I've noticed:

The Berben imports have:
flip rear aperture (as you mentioned)
black paint over phosphate finish
have a unique front sight base without gas adjustment for grenade launching
proprietary dovetail optic mounting features

The 'unknown' import featured on Ian's Forgotton weapons video has:
single aperture with cam for elevation
grey phosphate finish
neutered military front sight base
no optic mounting features

Receiver markings comparisons
Grey Gadget Audio equipment Gas Electronic device

Vehicle Window Personal luxury car Rim Font

Wood Hardwood Gun accessory Trigger Metal

Gun barrel Electric blue Air gun Office supplies Metal

Rectangle Plant Gas Font Automotive exterior

Font Screenshot Rim Titanium Metal

Gun accessory Cylinder Trigger Engineering Font

Nickel Gun accessory Cylinder Auto part Metal

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The flip aperture on the Berben AR70 Sporter matches the military parts kit rear sight that I have. I wonder if the single aperture rear sight is an earlier feature of these rifles.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks jjjxlr8.
On you kit, what type is it, a AR70, or AR90? Curious as I am trying to figure out a production sequence from design modifications.

Thats one of the things I was contemplating, What model/importer came in first. Seems to me the more complicated version would be first, so I would go with the camed rear sight model. Then at some point the optic mount was likely a added feature, as well as a cleaner looking finish, and simplified flip sight.
I had not noticed the neutered gas cut of front sight base on the FW example, so that's a great aspect to bring to light, and possibly one more feature for identification.

So far I have only confirmed 2 types of AR70 present in the USA the Beretta AR70 SPORT, and the kit builds.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My kit is an AR70 kit. The AR70 kit does not have the mount on what's left of the cut up receiver but it does have the flip rear sight. The optic mount must have come after the flip rear sight change since there is an example of the flip sight with no optic mount.

The rife on FW is odd and I've never seen another like it. Maybe it's a sample sent over before Berben imported quantities? Did they ever export them to Canada?

As far as I know, there was only one importer for these - Berben.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found some interesting BERBEN CORP. history.

The following are excerpts from Berben Corporation v. United States. a late 1950's court case regarding import tariff values of Beretta pistols.

Decided September 27, 1960

The plaintiff’s first witness, Harry Litwin, testified in substance as follows: Since 1951, he has been a member of the bar of the State of New York; that the Berben Corporation was organized by his office and he has been treasurer of the corporation since its organization.

The Berben Corporation was the exclusive distributor in the United States of Beretta products.

Dr. Beretta was owner of 50 per centum of the stock in the Berben Corporation, the other 50 per centum being owned by the estate of Bennett G. Galef, Bennett G. Galef having been the owner until his death in an airplane accident in February 1959.

Although containing nothing pertainat to the AR70. The court fillings establish a time frame for incorporation of BERBEN NY. NY. As well as a exclusive distributorship of Beretta pistols, possibly including other products threw, but possibly not limited to September 27, 1960.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From a additional source.

Berben corporation is a New York Domestic Business Corporation filed On February 20, 1952. The company's filing status is listed as Inactive.

I have not found the date Berben corp went iinactive.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Very nice! That's the first non-Berben import that I've seen! Pretty neat. Has the flip rear sight and optic mount, too. And of course, the rare folding stock.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed, the very uncommon SC folding model.

BERETTA USA CORP ACKK MD. Incorporation Date 8 September 1972.
Looks like Beretta corp may still have a facility in Accokeek, Maryland.

I still dont really have a time frame of AR70 importation. By the features on the sport models, I think its safe to assume most likely mid to later 80's. As it seems the sporter model has the ladder design modifications. while still being pre 89, and pre AR90 design.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Beretta factory in Accokeek, Md is still there, but main production has moved to Tennessee. As I grew up and lived close to it, many of my friends and neighbors worked there in the 80’s and 90’s. I myself did multiple jobs there as an electrical contractor as well. I can say I’ve seen many examples rolling of the production line that was destined for import. Many prototypes were created there as well as it was the main testing center for the company. The complex also housed the other foreign brands they did/do import. Seeing a Jatimatic in person thereis what got me into collecting military style small arms in the first place.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Font Magenta Rectangle Circle Paper product

My guess would be early to mid 1980s.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
OR, could be limited to 1985, with some coming through Berben, then even fewer coming through Beretta USA?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 343508

My guess would be early to mid 1980s.

If the the above chart is indeed correct, which I have reason to believe it may be. (1951 was the year of BERBEN's incorporation, and MR. GALEF was a distributor, as well as part owner of BERBEN) The commonality between BERBEN CORP, and BERETTA USA CORP, would be the year 1985. It may be a reasonable assumption to confer that 85 may have been the year of import, and possibly the only year of importation.

Thanks to my fellow members for providing first hand accounts of the the ACKK MD. factory, and providing information. It's much appreciated.

Reactions: jjjxlr8
1 - 17 of 17 Posts