AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, working on a 9mm AK build with one of Jack Squats Suomi cages and a AKBuilder flat, I read on another forum where the receiver still needs to be modified to fit the cage. I'm about at the part to modify the receiver and didn't wanna hack too much into it, wondered if anyone has done a build with the Jack Squat and has any pics.

Questions :

1.) does the cage need to sit back against the mag catch and TGuard, the way it looks now the cage is forward about 3/16 or more and the front area of the mag well needs to be cut out more ??

2.) how to incorporate the AK mag release to drop the Suomi Drums

3.) as for how the cage sits in the receiver... I saw where it comes up just under the rails, and I know the rails have to be trimmed but where does the ejector need to be

I would love to see a few pics from up inside the mag well from the bottom if anyone can help me out ....many thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
1) position your mag well for optimal feeding. This style of 9mm ak are not cookie cutter builds, each one is going to be a bit different.
2) you may need to add an extension to the paddle if you want to use the original AK release. Again, place the mag well where it will feed first, then work your release in around that.
3) The standard (5.45x39mm) ejector is the correct one to use, but the ejector itself should be located further forwards- general over the middle of the cartridges in the magazine. You may end up cutting it and re-welding it further forwards to get reliable ejection.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, I haven't spot welded the rails in yet, I figured I would have to trim and move them fwd, but didn't know the position of the ejector

as far as positioning the mag well its gotta have a starting place ....I will need to trim the receiver to even get to where it fully inserts into the gun and I'm just a little hesitant to cut towards the front if it needs to be seated back against the TG and vice versa if there needs a space in front of the TG ...I already had to trim a little to bend the 9mm AK builder flat in the AKBuilder jig

I saw a thread a long time a go where a guy made a little paddle extension for the mag release lever, but I'll have to look for it again and see just how they did that , other wise its to the drawing board to figure how to attach the drum mag

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
If you get stuck on the 2XTM stuff, let me know.
The guy who designed that is a friend and I can get you some additional info.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get stuck on the 2XTM stuff, let me know.
The guy who designed that is a friend and I can get you some additional info.
who the Licthenberg guy or doubletapme ?? I spoke to doubletap me on another forum and he said its been 10 years since he built his and he has since sold off his guns

I've seen some pics of the old ( now defunct ) Licthenberg 2XTM conversions, but a lot of the info has disappeared over the years from other forums, I haven't found a tutorial from anyone using the Jack Squat stuff yet, I surely can't be the first .....cause that right there is scary .....lol

I'd appreciate any help I can get

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Roger Lichtenberg, out in UT, is the guy.
I'll drop him an email and see if I can provide you his contact info.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roger Lichtenberg, out in UT, is the guy.
I'll drop him an email and see if I can provide you his contact info.

or just link him this thread and see if he'd care to help out ....thanks

I was looking at how the Jack Squat fit over the drum today and I will need to take some material off his version of the 2XTM, where the stub is on the drum, I'm still looking for that thread where someone added material and made like a longer paddle for a release

·
Registered
37 Posts
How is the build coming along? I am collecting the components to make my own and would like to see what tricks might have been found. Most of the threads I've read were around 2008-2010.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is the build coming along? I am collecting the components to make my own and would like to see what tricks might have been found. Most of the threads I've read were around 2008-2010.
it kinda stalled for now, got the barrel turned for the trunion and deciding what to do with the 2XTM cage and the rails, it appears that the cage was made to fit just inside the AK receiver, when you overlap the rails its too wide, and if you place the cage underneath..... I think its gonna be too low to scrape rounds out of the mag, that leaves to either cut the rail in half lengthwise along the bend or mill out a section of the cage to allow the rails to sit on the top edge, I will snap a few pics when I get home tonight and see what everyone thinks, another pair of eyes on the project can't hurt at this point....some constructive criticism might be the kick in the pants I need to get moving

I did get the front Suomi shroud cut down and re-welded just waiting to get it re-blued again, some oil spot or something came out on it :mad:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as you can see how the rails fit on the top of the cage, my first thought was to mill out a section so they can fit inside the receiver and just be spot welded in place like a regular AK, but I actually think it will be easier and less work to tig weld them on the cage and then grind off the side and then weld the cage in place as one whole unit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts