AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this idea to get my dad a classic car next year. Sometime between fatherday and his birthday (Sept). Im doing my reaserch now in hopes that I dont get sucked into a money pit. I dont have anything specific in mind but my price range would be $10k. If its a nice car with some minor problems but cheaper I can have it fixed. The cars Im looking at are 50s-70s but most that fall into what Im looking for are 60s cars. Ive been looking at Caddy convertables, Plymuth Fury, Lincoln's, Chevy's, Buick...oh my! No sports cars or trucks. It comes down to price and look. I dont want to get just any big old car. What I dont know anything bout is their mechanics. This car would be for weekend/summer. It does not need to be all 3s matching, original everything, one of a kind. Just a nice looking car

Let me give you an idea of what Im looking at.

1950 Chevrolet Deluxe Sedan Chevy

1972 Lincoln Mark IV

1965 Buick Riviera

1968 Plymouth Fury III Convertible

1968 CLASSIC COUPE CADILLAC DE VILLE CONVERTIBLE

1965 Ford Galaxie 500 LTD 2 Door Fastback

1966 Buick LeSabre Custom Convertible -

I know some of the cars listed are out of my price range. But you get the idea.

How hard is it to find engine/trans parts for cars from the 60s and 70s? Im not even going to ask about the 50s...I assume its not easy or cheeap.

Whats expected of these engines/trans if they are all original and in good cond? Are they maintnance intansive? Do they tend to leak?

What should I look for/at?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm much more into vintage muscle car's. But, I would suggest an early '70's Boattail Rivy or late 60's Grand Prix. Luxury car's that still have some ass behind them.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I know you are looking at verts - but they are either 100% perfect or you should walk away.

Replacement parts, service etc are all $$$$ for verts, they are usually run hard and put away wet etc.

Stick to hard tops for your first one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'd say the white Buick, especially with the factory 401.

If the Galaxie was a year or two older, '63 or '64, that would be a no-brainer. Those cars are beautiful.

Engine and transmission wise, you should be okay, especially with GM stuff. The hardest part would probably be trim and body pieces, if anything.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
1950 Chevrolet Deluxe Sedan Chevy1972 Lincoln Mark IV1965 Buick Riviera1968 Plymouth Fury III Convertible1968 CLASSIC COUPE CADILLAC DE VILLE CONVERTIBLE1965 Ford Galaxie 500 LTD 2 Door Fastback1966 Buick LeSabre Custom Convertible -Parts for any GM or FORD are dirt cheap and fairly common. Also retro fitting newer parts off of junkyard explorers and crown vics works too. But since a lot of stuff is gonna be worn out and every one of those cars will be a money pit, stay away from cas that will never be worth anything. Like the Cadillac, total POS and you'll regret spending all that oney on it, and when and if you want to sell, nobody will want it. Same with the lincoln, NObody wants the damn things, they eat gas, look like crap, are slower than hell and for all your hard work and efforts you'll hardly get any compliments. Same with the fury. The ford galaxie would be an ok bet, but shoot for 2 years older as stated earlier, then its a no brainer. The buick Riviera would be cool. Everything else you listed are slow heavy gas guzzling turds that will empty your wallet and you'll sell unfinished for a 1/3 of what you have sunk into them. The parts aren't an issue they used the same running gear for nearly 40 years. But do yourself a favor and stay mainstream... mustangs, galaxies, comets, dusters, chargers, chevelles, camaros, skylarks, lemans..... any money you put into those cars always comes back.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get what youre saying but its not for me nor is it for a father/son project. This is just for shits. To have a neat old classic to take out in nice weather. As far as im concerned all those cars guzzle way to much gas. Im perfectly happy with my Carolla.

He's just not into the classic 70s sports car s unless it looks like a 64 GTO. He was talking about buying a car one of his clients has. A 89 Jag something or other 2dr V12. Looks cool I suppose but I know he'll have a hard time getting in and out of it and I dont want to deal with Jag prices on parts and pay the mechanics mortgage.

Oddly enough driving home I saw a 60 Caddy De Ville for sale. But at $15k no thanks

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Impala super sport would be my choice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
1950 Chevrolet Deluxe Sedan Chevy1972 Lincoln Mark IV1965 Buick Riviera1968 Plymouth Fury III Convertible1968 CLASSIC COUPE CADILLAC DE VILLE CONVERTIBLE1965 Ford Galaxie 500 LTD 2 Door Fastback1966 Buick LeSabre Custom Convertible -Parts for any GM or FORD are dirt cheap and fairly common. Also retro fitting newer parts off of junkyard explorers and crown vics works too. But since a lot of stuff is gonna be worn out and every one of those cars will be a money pit, stay away from cas that will never be worth anything. Like the Cadillac, total POS and you'll regret spending all that oney on it, and when and if you want to sell, nobody will want it. Same with the lincoln, NObody wants the damn things, they eat gas, look like crap, are slower than hell and for all your hard work and efforts you'll hardly get any compliments. Same with the fury. The ford galaxie would be an ok bet, but shoot for 2 years older as stated earlier, then its a no brainer. The buick Riviera would be cool. Everything else you listed are slow heavy gas guzzling turds that will empty your wallet and you'll sell unfinished for a 1/3 of what you have sunk into them. The parts aren't an issue they used the same running gear for nearly 40 years. But do yourself a favor and stay mainstream... mustangs, galaxies, comets, dusters, chargers, chevelles, camaros, skylarks, lemans..... any money you put into those cars always comes back.
This is all, very, very good and sound advice. (I say this as I am a few feet away from my 1953 MG-TD money-pit, black hole).

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hey, I drive a 68 firebird with a 461 monster motor and am restoring 2 mustang fastbacks and a 64 1/2 coupe. They are all money pits, and I use my 1970 VW sunroof bug for daily driving for now because I'm building a 12 bolt disc brake rear end for the firebird and the 68 fastback isn't ready yet either. I'm not trying to dog on any of the above mentioned cars except to say from experience and different friends experience that ALL old cars are money pits. BUT there is a silver lining, if you stay mainstream like I said, then things will be easier for you and the rewards are actually there for bringing legends back to life...

if he likes the 64 GTO then please do yourself a favor and snag a 64, 65, 66, or 67 lemans. they're affordable, well more so than a GTO, and take the same parts. and look REALLY good. I've found running ones that need work for around 3-4k.

basically what i'm getting at is in the end, you'll be 15k in the hole for an old car to drive on the weekends (7k plus parts for whatever "affordable" car u might settle on) and unless its what you wanted and people love it, it'll just be a sore in your side. You will always regret dropping 15k on a Lincoln when the guy next to you in the car club rolls around with a mild 326ci powered lemans he spent 10k on and really enjoys...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Damn, Vlad, you've got a lot of iron's in the fire. Your bird has a 455 bored .30 over?

the bug I drive. Not having a car payment and driving the cars I restore frees up a ton of money to spend on them. the 461 is a 400 block with a stroker kit. among other things.

had to switch to a cheapie distro after the Mallory comp 9000 wore out and I couldn't get a new cap and rotor, but I found some recently and getting new ones so the whole Mallory getup is going back in and the giant accel coil is going back on the firewall.

an old pic of the bird before the lowering springs, LS1 disc brakes and before some a-hole hit it with a uhaul truck while I was parked. its not a looker, not yet anyways, but damn its a bruiser.

how it sits now, waiting for me to come back from shitstan and install the new door skins, redo the entire enterior and swap the rear end. and of course replace that front bumper and fenders that got destroyed last summer.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Vlad, is your 'Bird an auto or a 4-speed. Wish I had the fund's to put a stroker motor in my 5.0. And a Tremec, and a supercharger, and.....Never end's, does it?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
no, it does not end. If I were you though I'd buy a 64-68 mustang without a motor, or an inline 6, and gut your foxbody, take the 5.0 and T5 and put it all in a 60's mustang with no emissions and where insurance is dirt cheap...

the Bird has a FORD toploader close ratio 3 speed that Buick Olds Pontiac used for heavy duty applications. Its the toughest transmission I know, and other than dropping 3k on a tremec swap (not as tough as fords toploader) is the best option for a torque monster motor. The GM muncies are garbage, and the T5 five speed is too. Took me forever to find the trans though, gear ratios are 2.42-1.61-1. Its basically the 3.03 3 speed toploader ford used for the mustangs as a base trans but with slightly different gear ratios and the input shaft is setup for a GM clutch and Pontiac pilot bearing. Pontiacs bellhousings were drilled with 8 holes to accept either a GM trans (weak garbage) or the ford toploaders. If someone wanted to use a ford 4 speed though, they would have to get the input shaft machined for a Pontiac pilot bearing, then they would be able to use it. But with enough torque I've never needed the spread of a 4 speed, the 3 speed was more than enough to blow the doors off a 90k Porsche ;-)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I can dig the idea of retro-fitting a late model drivetrain into a first gen Mustang. I've been a Mustang fan almost all of my life. I just never really got into the 64-68 model's. I used to have a 72 MACH1. 351CJ with a C6. Ran pretty strong, especially after a put a Comp cam, Torker intake and 750 Holley on it. The big drawback was it's 3.25 open rear end and stock converter. Alway's want'ed a Toploader and a Trakloc with 3.91's. Anyway's, I've moved on to Fox bodies. I really like them. Especially 86 Capri's. Can't hardly ever find one though. No emission test 's in my AO. So the 5.0 run's "off road" exhaust. Stay safe over there man, and thank's for your service.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm an idiot. I think that Lincoln is tits, aside from the rims. It needs a set of old Cragar wires.

I've always loved that body style and I bet it's like driving a couch.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
do yourself a favor. What ever you pick do a ebay motors search in the parts section. Look and see if there are any aftermarket parts to be found. Marty my boss/friend purchased a old truck a '38 ford. It was a 2 year only body style. There was nothing to be found we had to make everything. Dont count out a 4 door you can usually get twice the car for the same price with a 4 door.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts