AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I'm trying to locate an EG type A bolt carrier and type A rounded mag catch. I'll be using them to complete my 1981 Soviet AKS-74 project. I'm not sure where to look for this stuff. I talked to Tantal (my usual source) and he doesn't have any of these parts in stock. Any ideas of where to look?

Thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
To start, what is a type A bolt carrier and a rounded mag catch?

Here is an example of three different East German mag release levers. (from left to right MPi-AK-74, MPi-AK-72 and MPi-KM (or late and early AKM).

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reichpapers said:
To start, what is a type A bolt carrier and a rounded mag catch?

Here is an example of three different East German mag release levers. (from left to right MPi-AK-74, MPi-AK-72 and MPi-KM (or late and early AKM).

Sorry for any confusion. Here's the story: I am currently preping up to send my Bulgarian AKS-74 kit to Ted Marshall. I'm going to have him build me a very accurate 1981 Soviet AKS-74 clone from it.

The Bulgarian kits work very well for Soviet clones as a rule; the Bulgys copied the Soviet 1982 design exactly and basically never changed it, so many Bulgarian parts are identical to what the Soviets used. However, the Soviets were constantly making slight tweaks and changes to the 74 platform from the start and, because of this, for instance, a 1979 AKS-74 won't be exactly the same as a 1989 AKS-74. These were small changes, including but not limited to the design of the muzzlebrake, bolt carrier, mag release, cleaning rod, and furniture. For instance, the thinner profile charging handle found on early 74s was later thickened and it's contours were changed just a bit. People usually categorize the designs, particularly with the mag releases, bolt carriers, and cleaning rods, into type "A," "B," or "C" depending on the era of production.

The trick, at least for weirdo purists like me, is that unless you buy an original Soviet AKS-74 kit (which would be next to impossible to find), the kit you buy won't necessarily have the "correct" parts for the era you are trying to clone. At that point your best hope is to search for random Soviet parts first and then, if that doesn't work, check out parts used by some of the ex-ComBloc countries. Different countries modeled their AKs after Soviet weapons of varying years of production, and so sometimes you can find the early or late design parts you need. In this case, the East Germans copied early Soviet designs that used a thinner type "A" charging handle and rounded type "A" mag release (the later mag releases are square at the tip). These are the parts I need for an 81' clone and, since the Soviets parts are non-existent, DDR stuff is my best bet. Just don't know where to find it..never done anything with DDR guns or parts before. As for your picture, those are the rounded mag releases I'm talking about.

That was a wordy explanation...hope it makes sense. Check out the link below. It shows a comparision of USSR, Bulgy, and DDR AK-74s. You'll see some of the subtle differences I'm referring to.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29761

Thanks for any help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts