AK Rifles banner

Looking for a WWII 1911 clone

950 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  WhiteRabbit 
#1 ·
So, I've been wanting to pick up a nice WWII 1911A1 clone, and I'm not 100% sure what's out there. I know the Springfield GI is supposed to be pretty decent, and it won't break the bank. I know Colt makes a nice repro, but I think it's a $1000 plus..at that point I might as well go for a real WWII-era 1911. Is there any other decent clone out there, or should I just go for the Springer? How accurate of a clone is it?

Thanks for any input, guys.

#3 ·
mco119 said:
So, I've been wanting to pick up a nice WWII 1911A1 clone, and I'm not 100% sure what's out there. I know the Springfield GI is supposed to be pretty decent, and it won't break the bank. I know Colt makes a nice repro, but I think it's a $1000 plus..at that point I might as well go for a real WWII-era 1911. Is there any other decent clone out there, or should I just go for the Springer? How accurate of a clone is it?

Thanks for any input, guys.
the only thing i did not like about my GI when i had it was the roll marks on the slide.

i really should have kept the gun it was my first .45 and was pretty accurate,. alas i needed some cash for something and i sold it like a tool.

now i have a Rock Island Armory 1911,. with a unmarked Colt slide,. if i ever get around to getting the WWII style grip panels it will look pretty close to a issue .45,. exceot it will not have any roll marks what-so-ever.

#4 ·
I am going to get another, probably a Springfield, however I am sorry about selling my Norinco...it was a fine piece.

#8 ·
mco119 said:
cruzie27 said:
the only thing i did not like about my GI when i had it was the roll marks on the slide.
I assume you mean because the markings are not "correct?"
pretty much,.. but i have a thing about having someones bill board on MY pistol,.. once you take a look at one in person you will see it really is not that bad,. but i am just kinda picky about stuff like that.

the Springfield is a good gun,.i would probally get another if i had the cash to spare right now.

#9 ·
It's funny you mentioned it. I always hated the stampings on my SA Inc. .45, too. Huuuuge font. Just ridiculous.

The serrations on the slide were all ******, too. If I'd kept this, I was going to swap out the slide with a GI replacement.

A shame, since it was a great pistol otherwise. Not as nice as GI, but the next best thing.

#15 ·
cruzie27 said:
mco119 said:
cruzie27 said:
I assume you mean because the markings are not "correct?"
pretty much,.. but i have a thing about having someones bill board on MY pistol,..
Yeah, me too. It's one thing I don't like about the look of the Springfield GIs. Then again, some "real" USGI 1911s (think Colt) have a book on the slide, though it seems to typically be on the left side and not on the right like the Springers.

What do you guys think of the Auto Ordnance 1911s? Just stumbled onto some WWII clones by them. I'm guessing they aren't as nice as the Springfields.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.