AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Here in Wisconsin we can't use FMJ to hunt and i'm going to be taking my evil PSL deer hunting this year :twisted: . Anyway, from shopping the net I found these Norma SP 7.62x54r from the Sportsmansguide. These little suckers are $35 box of 20. Hell, I think I a bought a case of FMJ 7.62x54r for $45 bucks.

Before I buy them looking for any feedback.

They are 180gr ----- 2575 Muzzle velocity and 2651 Muzzle Energy

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think the recommendation was in General for PSLs, TIGERs, and Drags of all types, since they were designed around the 150gr bullet (somewhere around that grain weight).

JOHNO might know.

Norma makes pretty good 7.7 arisaka and 7.5 swiss, but I've tried very little of it do to the price. Just keep the brass, even if you don't want to reload anytime soon. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
You're not going to destroy the rifle with a couple boxes of 180's, but you'll increase the wear and tear on the rifle with prolonged use.

The semi-auto's really are better served with 150-170 gr. stuff.

Having said that, anything Norma makes is going to be top quality stuff, which is why they're so expensive.

You might also try the Prvi Partizan stuff from Serbia. Good ammo, and the commercial stuff is non corrosive.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Templar said:
You might also try the Prvi Partizan stuff from Serbia. Good ammo, and the commercial stuff is non corrosive.
good point, I forgot about them. Their 7.5 swiss is really accurate, and most of their ammunition is at about .50 cents a round. ammunitionstore.com and sportsmansguide.com carries Prvi. :cool:

in 7.62x54r they make a 150 and 180gr. I think ammunitionstore.com has both, not sure about sportsmansguide.com

-mark

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I have 600 rounds of FMJ Olympic for my SVT and PSL. Cheap, non corrosive. I know heavier weights are bad, but I too thought 180 was the acceptable max?

What exactly does it do? I know the slower bullet means more pressure in the gun for longer, but will it mess up the piston or reciever or what?

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
I have 600 rounds of FMJ Olympic for my SVT and PSL. Cheap, non corrosive. I know heavier weights are bad, but I too thought 180 was the acceptable max?

What exactly does it do? I know the slower bullet means more pressure in the gun for longer, but will it mess up the piston or reciever or what?

Basically higher recoil impulse driving the bolt carrier back harder/faster.

Not as bad as using heavy bullets in a Garand, but not something that you want to do several thousand times over.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
So would a recoil buffer help?

I have a Ruger Mini 30, 2 SKSs, the '47 and the PSL I am thinking of getting buffers for. Do they help the gun or prevent wear?

·
Registered
100 Posts
As you can see at coles there they have the FNM soft points for $6 a box. Thats bettter than the Norma $30 a box. And I think FNM is pretty good ammo. I have fed alot of it through my CZ52. I personally wouldn't get any Norma because the price is so high. It may be good ammo, but I highly doubt its worth the cost.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Privi is good stuff. I have around 100 rounds of soft point and think it is excellent ammo.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
also Sellier & Bellot make a good SP in 7.62x54R,...maybe 170-180ish gr.

which ever ammo maker you go with,. that round has more than enough of whatever you need to put down a deer.

btw,...you are a lucky guy,.. here in PA i can use a semi auto to hunt,...this leaves me with my Mosin Nagant as my only other choice in this caliber

wanna borrow my 8xPOSP?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
FNM Portugal offered by Cole Distributing is made by Privi Partisan Serbia. Their ammo production is contracted out to them. Either is excellent ammo.

My friend took a mule deer with some FNM 7.5 Swiss SP recently so it does the job.

For the PSL it is reccomended that ammo be in the 148-155 gr range. With higher grains people have mention various problems and serious damage after prolonged use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts