AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I poked around trying to see if this had been asked before, but couldn't find anything.

Let me preface this by saying I know little about AK's, mostly an AR guy.

I have a KBI SA85-M post ban, blonde wood, thumbhole stock. I bought it in the late 90's and it has never been fired. Has sat in my safe the whole time. (I shoot 7.62x39 in other guns).

I am starting to convert my collection into cash, and to that end I got the latest Blue Book. The box and reciever clearly say KBI, but when I got to that section in the Blue Book there is not a single mention of any sort of AK variant. In fact that section is about a half page. I have seen FEG mentioned on Gunbroker, same thing. No mention in the Blue Book about any sort of FEG AK variant.

Does anyone know where in the book to look? Or have an idea of what a NIB example of this would be worth? Would prefer the Blue Book as that carries weight when pricing for a gun show or internet auction.

Thanks in Advance

Jason in Redmond, WA

·
Registered
387 Posts
Would prefer the Blue Book as that carries weight when pricing for a gun show or internet auction.
Maybe 30yrs ago. Completed auctions are your best bet. That book could be out of date 5 minutes after it was printed. Think of the recent sanctions on Russian AKs, you'd be leaving money on the table if you went by a book printed last week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed. But I've had this gun for 23 years or so, I know what I paid for it, just want to see what ballpark is there. The links give me an idea. I saw one on gunbroker that had a price of $1200, no bid. I've seen it there for a few weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine looks like the ones in those listings. You have a pic of the short one? I have done some web searches and keep coming up with AR stuff.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Having been an active collector of military and military style firearms over the last 20 years, it's hard to imagine that any printed book could be very accurate for pricing any collectible firearm. There's just too many fine details that make huge differences in value to the collector and the prices vary pretty significantly from one year to the next. Even from one month to the next depending on market factors.

Like others have mentioned, take a look at actual sales on forums like this and on completed Gunbroker auctions knowing that there can be some highly variable results with auctions sometimes.

I would value it at around $750 + - $200. There's a brand new in the box example at a local gunstore that has been there for months with a price of $750.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Having been an active collector of military and military style firearms over the last 20 years, it's hard to imagine that any printed book could be very accurate for pricing any collectible firearm. There's just too many fine details that make huge differences in value to the collector and the prices vary pretty significantly from one year to the next. Even from one month to the next depending on market factors.

Like others have mentioned, take a look at actual sales on forums like this and on completed Gunbroker auctions knowing that there can be some highly variable results with auctions sometimes.

I would value it at around $750 + - $200. There's a brand new in the box example at a local gunstore that has been there for months with a price of $750.
You should offer $650 and buy it at $700. $250 for stockset, GB, and FSB.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
The Blue Book is a dinosaur. I’d no more use it for valuation these days than I’d shop for gun parts in a paper copy of Shotgun News, and pay for them by personal check, and expect it to take 6-8 weeks to receive them.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I tried to buy it with the other two they had but they wouldn't come down in price any on the trio so I left it. Picked up this nice duo and each were less than the Hungarian.

Egyptian Maadi with Y stamped receiver, original manual, etc.
IMG_9450.JPG

Milled MAK90:
IMG_8450.JPG

Reactions: KalashniFan

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I tried to buy it with the other two they had but they wouldn't come down in price any on the trio so I left it. Picked up this nice duo and each were less than the Hungarian.

Egyptian Maadi with Y stamped receiver, original manual, etc.
View attachment 288057

Milled MAK90:
View attachment 288059
They wouldn't even move $50 on the SA? AT $750, you'd be in about $1k after deban. I'd be thinking about that. PM me that info, lol. I'm still thinking about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I owned a post ban with short tube about 10 yrs ago. I decided to sell it mainly because the SA 85m is in no way a military rifle, made in semi auto for the public. Anyway, I listed it on Gunbroker for $600 and was floored when it brought $1200. You just never know what a firearm will bring. I just sold a Hungarian AKM63 for $1400 when forum members said I'd get $700-$900.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts