AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aint he a nice guy!

Note I had not quite figured out the sling set up when I snapped this but I was losing daylight. Got it in the short US GI configuration now though. Other than the long barrel it is a pretty accurate representation of the M1 (1942) contract gun, at least from the outside. Except for the no "joy switch" and that dam 16" barrel thing...

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Sweet...I had one a few years ago that I had to sell for a high end safe. I miss it. What does Blaine charge for those these days?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Tyrvidar said:
sweet, I'm digging the wood on that one.
+1 the grain on that is very cool.

Some guns don't look right without polymer and some guns just don't look right without grain! :hail:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Dutchkma said:
Very nice! Is it possible to get a finned 16" barrel?
Good question, is that an AO?

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I think I would go this route...then SBR the pistol and add the stock? Kind of what I did for my HK53. Has anyone looked into this??

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Exotic-Toys said:
I think I would go this route...then SBR the pistol and add the stock? Kind of what I did for my HK53. Has anyone looked into this??

GD that is cool! One day after I win the lottery

·
Registered
236 Posts
Barrels

If you don't like the barrel all you have to do is change it. 10
1/2" barrel=SBR and the $200 tax and reg.

GUNS-R-FUN

·
Banned
344 Posts
That is one beautiful gun and the wood is about the best and nicest grain
i have seen! Lucky dude! :grin:
Is it not a little on the heavy side, if you put a 100 round drum in it?

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I asked Blaine to weigh in on this thread if he has a few moments. I need to know if the rail exists to install the stock on the pistol once it's SBR'd. I wouldn't want to go the other route of 16" then change...done that..been there.. too much extra money involved.

Your pics got me going again for a thompson! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
vz58kid said:
they weigh a ton WITHOUT any mags or drums. :razz:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Exotic-Toys said:
vz58kid said:
they weigh a ton WITHOUT any mags or drums. :razz:

Handled an original FA today... yeah, even WITHOUT the extra 5.5" of barrel and WITHOUT a magazine or drum they are heavy guns.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They do weigh a lot! I marvel at the boys that carried these in combat.

However I should point out that it is laden with an extra 6 inches in this rifle configuration. And yes, it is an AO built gun. But it is the M1 model clone of theirs. They offer it in Steel and Aluminum receiver. This one is the Steel receiver one.

They certainly do have model with the finned barrels. Several of them as a mater of fact. So you can get them for certain.

But remember, this is a replica (sort of) of the M1. Which did not have fins. The Government decided they didn't want fins nor did they want the Compensator nor did they want the Vertical fore grip either. They did two tests and decided the Compensator was not necessary on the gun, and they decided the Vertical Fore grip was too prone to damage and, by this time, they had all but abandoned the drums too. The drums were too heavy and prone to damage and rattled when carried. Even the British had all but thrown out their drums by this time. This was 1942 when the USA made a large order. Pretty much all the Thompson's before that were from existing stock on the previous design. This was a trimmed down design for a Military contract.

AO does list a couple ready to go SBR's on their site.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gonzo_Beyondo said:
turbothis said:
i wonder why there is no 9mm tommy gun.
maybe i will just have to build one someday.... :cool:
Good question.
It would be nice, preferably something that uses cheap surplus mags.
There is the Uzi of course... What did the M3 Grease gun shoot?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts