AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I from work took off for a quick lunch to Arby's today, and on the way back we saw a sign for an estate sale. We figured we'd run by quick and see if they had any tools. Sure 'nuff - came away with a nice American-made indexing vertical machinest's vise for $15

I set it up after work just to make sure it was good-to-go. Looks good:

In case you're not familiar, this little tool is the key to easily positioning and drilling the front and rear trunnion holes, as demonstrated in this video from BuildYourOwnAK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CSEPUs7zI

-Thirtycal

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
That looks like a palmgren vise, very nice.

My setup is a little different. I have a palmgren vise, but it's mounted on a Phase II milling table. BuildyourownAK is me btw.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
m0ondoggy said:
That looks like a palmgren vise, very nice.

My setup is a little different. I have a palmgren vise, but it's mounted on a Phase II milling table. BuildyourownAK is me btw.
Glad to meet you. You've inspired many a builder, myself included. You made excellent videos with attention on all the right things (including machine shop safety).

I started out shooting a video of my own (using your multi-part series as an template) to show the details of a full-meal-deal Saiga->AK-103 conversion, but after appreciating how much work was involved to do a good job with the video, I gave up on that after about two days. So now I'm trying to do a good job of taking static photos and documenting the details over on a different thread here in the BIY forum.

And no it's not a Palmgren - it's a 70's era Craftsman branded vise... But I agree that it does look alot like a Palmgren. Perhaps it was made by Palmgren and sold under the Crafstman brand. Anyway it's perfect for AK building. :mrgreen:

thanks-
Philip

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a little Palmgren like that one that i've had since the early 60's.
They are "Angle vise w/swivel base ". Mine has degree marks on one side for angles from 0-90 for vertical movement and 360 degrees for the swivel base. Neat little vises..................

·
Registered
261 Posts
nice move.............DAMN!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts