AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for a post on this subject but came up empty.

I'm going to begin squeezing long rivets (front and rear) on a Yugo build soon. I'm using AK Builder rivets. How much of the unformed side of the rivet should protrude through the receiver to properly form the head? I'd like to trim the rivets down if they are too long.

I've squeezed Romy rear trunion long rivets before with success, but it has been almost a year since then.

I had measured the amount of the rivet protruding, but left the paper I wrote it on in the man cave when I got distracted by a malfunctioning dehumidifier leaking water on some of my loot! :lol:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Using AK-Builder rivets and AK-B jig I dont trim them at all. They have always came out right for me with no hallo. If you drilled out some of the trunnion during demilling then they might be too short because the rivet will have more space to fill in.

If you watch the videos by moondoggy he says he trims 5 thousands off the length of his to avoid hallos. I've never had that problem.

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
I just finished a build the other day. We just used the whole rivet, they key is the manually hammer it down about halfway and then finish with the press if you want the flat 'disc' look.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think it is easier to get a nice head if you trim them a bit. I forget the amount, but I take them down as far as Moondoggy suggests, and have had good results (when I screwed up) with even shorter ones. When used full size you can get a nice head, but it tends to be round on top and have a bit of "barrel" shape on the sides. I have obsessed about rivets, but frankly once they are crushed and refinished nobody ever gives them a second look--not even me.

·
Technical Advisor
16,113 Posts
For a rivet that fits snugly in a hole that is not hogged and is clean the general rule is:

1.5 X rivet diameter = prortrusion from receiver.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got this Yugo assembled...

Close up of the long rivets...

The angle of the camera on the rear rivet makes it look flat but it is domed. I used the “multiply by 1.5” formula to arrive at desired measurement, but I think I trimmed a little too much. The rivet heads aren’t as domed as the others, but they could be way worse. :wink: :cool:

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
i have eaten up 1/2" on a bad trunion and still had a small head! :shock:
if the rivet is loose at all you better start adding length!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been using a flat tool and just barely start to press the rivet. I then take the finishing tool and finish her off. Rivets have been damn near perfect everytime. Been using akbuilder jig and rivets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts