AK Rifles banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saiga .308 8+2 mag mod

Since there appears to be some interest in craming more fodder in the .308 Saiga, perhaps this easy +2 mod to the factory mag might interest some:

The follower is cut down (leave just a bit of the raised portion molded in that stops the follower at the top of the mag)...

The spring, ALOT stiffer than is needed, is trimmed as shown...

And, the plastic locking plate the goes over the floor plate needs to get lost -it is just TOO THICK...

And, the floor plate can be retained by use of a screw thru it's back to prevent it recoiling off.

This will allow use of 10 rounds reliably.

Note (WARNING): Trying to get 10 rounds (tightly) in the mag CAN be done w/o having to remove the locking plate or trimming the spring -it just will NOT work in the gun as the first round can not be depressed enough to allow the mag to lock safely...try to force this, and you may CRACK the mag.

Lollygagger :wink:

P.S -By the way, you can increase the cap of the Saiga factory 7.62x39mm & .223 mags in a similar fashion (the 10 round 7.62x39mm mag will yield 15 rounds).

A standard AK floor plate metal "locking plate" (the one over the floor plate that retains it) from a hi-cap mag, can be switched with the plastic one from the Saiga mag...this will give you the space needed with the mod, and, will not effect the cap of the standard hi-cap AK mag.

This is less significant as the 7.62x39mm Saiga is easily adapted for use of hi-cap AK mags, anyway.
The short factroy mag does make a niffty compact 15 round synthetic mag, though.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
M14 mag mod

I've had request for information regarding the alterations needed to a M14 (milspec 20 round) magazine to allow it to function in a unaltered Saiga .308...so here are the results of my recent tinkering...

I need to credit a fella, a Tony Rumore of "Tromix", for the idea -evidently he is making up or intending to offer modified M14 mags for sale with the (hopeful) re-importation of the Saiga .308 rifles.

He has a pic of a prototype that clarified the "trick" for me...the "trick" is that the M14 mag, which is too wide at the front to enter the tapered mag well of the Saiga, can evidently be "peened" (some heat is a good idea here) at it's top front to taper enough to work.

He also showed the needed relief cut at the top front for the mag to clear the trunnion & trunnion rivets inside the mag well of the Saiga. It's profile is much the same as the top front of a standard Saiga mag.

The rest is pretty routine and straight forward:

The bottom of the M14 latch catch was built up with a mig welder & ground to approximate the profile of the stock Saiga mag catch...

The front of the mag needed to have a catch for the front to "hang" on the action -this was done buy use of the SQUARE hole that serves to latch the M14 mag in that action...this was cut down in the relief cut, a "prong" was left on each side, and, was turned down to provide the needed ledge for the Saiga (USE HEAT here or I'd suspect they BREAK OFF).

Lastly, a follower needs to be cut to fit the, now, tapered mag front.
As I was using a milspec mag shell only, I used a HK G3 follower & spring to do this.
The cut front of the follower had some epoxy putty used to fill in the underside of it for looks and to help it not upset -but I doubt it is required.

Finally, I'd note that a milspec M14 mag is hard & brittle -like "spring" steel. It will be prone to break before it bends...thus the need for heat. A aftermarket mag might be easier for most to work with.

The cuts were done with a Dremel with a fiber cut-off wheel. The heat was provided (just barely) via a propane torch.

I will provide some close up pics of the mag that may help clarify what was done.

That's the procedure I used. Yes, it functions fine.
I need to note that this is pretty much for the advanced mag tweaker as some fabrication is needed.

Lollygagger :smile:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saiga .308 G3 mag extention

WHY NOT? Might as well repost this here with the other .308 Saiga mag gibberish I've done...

FWIW, this is another approach to the issue of getting more cap for the saiga .308...

A MAGAZINE EXTENTION:

Basically, it uses a aluminum G3 mag cut just below the upper double layer, and, lips folded on it's top, to slide into the bottom of the standard Saiga mag.

The HK follower is used, but requires being cut at it's front (cut-off wheel on a Dremel works well) to "taper' it's front to fit the Saiga mag body -look at the Siaga follower as a guide. And, little light Dremel grinding on the sides of the follower is needed to "thin" the width & alow it to pass thru the Saiga mag body. The HK spring and floor plate is used.

FWIW, a little polish may be needed to get the new follower to pass well thru the junction of the two mags -the spring tension is usually strong enough to force the passage.

This will result in a quite reliable 25 round mag, and, is reversable -you can return the mag to stock configuration with ease.

more..

The only mod to the standard Saiga mag I'd recommend is to file/Dremel a angle on the INSIDE of the back of the mag to help avoid a "step" that could snag the rear of a case as it passes thru the junction of the two mag bodies...It has no effect on return of the Saiga mag to the normal configuration.

I added a little epoxy fill at the front of the follower -not required, I suspect.

I do recommend that something be added to secure the joint of the two mag bodies -a pc. of bicycle inner tube should do fine.

For a little wacking on a $3 HK mag, the result is interesting.

Lollygagger :smile: (Yes! It is FUGLY!!!)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts