AK Rifles banner

Locating a gas block on a used barrel with drilled gas port

815 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  IT-Gunner 
#1 ·
I've kinda gotten stuck on my M70AB build...I've got the barrel installed and pinned, and the RSB is installed and lined up with the pin slot but not pinned. I'm installing the gas block now, and I've got it lined up with the pre-existing pin slots, and it seems to fit right on the gas tube, but I'm not seeing light or able to blow thru the gas port. I'm pretty sure everything is on straight, and test fitting looked like it should line up if I got it lined up with the pins...any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed? Do I just need to re-drill the gas port?

As you can see below, I've got a #41 and #42 drill bit in the pin holes. They're about as large as I can go without interference, unless it's not quite lined up yet. I'm also down to a very small gap between the gas block and gas tube, so I know I'm very close on the alignment, just can't figure out why I can't see light or blow thru the gas port...what else could be going on here? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, so for anyone like me that is doing their first barrel population with a M70 gas block that has a grenade sight...PUT THE SIGHT DOWN TO CHECK THE GAS PORT...DOH! I didn't realize that cutoff the gas port. Once I lowered the grenade sight, my gas port bit went all the way in, perfectly lined up and I didn't even know it. I was going to delete this post to hide my shame 🤬, but I'll leave it for anyone else's benefit that might not know.

#7 ·
Be glad that you didn't try to re-drill the hole with the grenade sight up. I have read about a few builders making that mistake, so fortunately I knew about this possible pitfall before my first Yugo build. Just another season to search the forum before you build :cool:

BTW: Kudos for not deleting the thread! (y)

#9 ·
I learned a while back from reading other's posts around the Web, always ask and get confirmation before you do anything that will alter a firearm, lol. It's always best to ask "What should I do?" instead of "How do I fix what I did?".

#11 · (Edited)
At least you’ll be able to play like this….

And YES this was my M70AB2 Yugoslavian setup. Back of tactical vest had 2 pockets with snaps for the grenades, 4 magazines, drum pouch and spot for your bayonet, cleaning kit, etc, etc, etc.

I sold the entire package here on this forum about 10 years ago. If I told you what I sold it for as you see it on my living room floor along with sealed case of Yugoslavian grenade blanks and a 75 round Mitchell arms drum, 4 minty BHO mags, bayonet, cleaning kit, full gas mask and a bunch of other stuff ….it would make me cry like you would be doing had you’d double drilled your barrel! 😢
Wood Flooring Shotgun Plant Gun barrel

THIS WAS ABOUT AS MUCH FUN YOU COULD HAVE WITH YOUR PANTS ON BACK THEN 😄 TODAY TOO!
Should have hung onto it all, but I needed the $ back then 🫤

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.