AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long can a mag be loaded before the spring starts to fail? thanks.

·
Registered
21,762 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

It is the action of loading and unloading the magazine that causes wear. There have been loaded magazines found in ammo caches and attics that have remained under tension for decades that still function.

It would take a LOT of cycling to get the spring itself to fail. You're more likely to get a malfunction from a damaged mag.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Ham said:
How long can a mag be loaded before the spring starts to fail? thanks.
What 10Gauge said. Only caveat is that only applies to mil-spec issue mags. Any of the commercial made mags are a unknown and may or may not take a seat.

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
Mags are not a great storage space for ammunition., IMHO.. Aside from any spring fatigue non-issue. A couple loaded for personal protection or quick range trip., and store the rest for compact storage, sale or protection in original packaging..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. So if I understand the above statements it would be ok to keep 25 rounds in a 30 round mag. Just like to keep one loaded "just in case".

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Ham said:
Thanks for the replies. So if I understand the above statements it would be ok to keep 25 rounds in a 30 round mag. Just like to keep one loaded "just in case".
It would be OK to keep all 30 rounds loaded if you so choose.

"Downloading" an AK mag for storage has no rational basis.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hate to be that guy but I don't know how many I have sitting around fully loaded collecting dust for when I need to go shoot them next... any commbloc AK mag you need not worry about.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Over this past weekend I shot some Chinese 30 rd. AK mags that have been loaded and sitting in an ammo can since 1988. Every mag functioned perfect. As stated in the first response to your question, it's cycling, loading/unloading that wears a spring. Mags sitting fully loaded are good to go, it's a proven fact

1 - 8 of 8 Posts