AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never run into this problem before. The go and no-go gauges fit into a 7.62 barrel just fine but a live round won't go in far enough for the bolt to rotate. I've tried several rounds and even two different brands of ammo. I'm wondering if this means the barrel is at fault and needs to be reamed. The barrel is from a Mac 90. I tried cleaning but that didn't help. I hate to pin the barrel until I get this figured out. Is there somewhere I can send the barrel to get this remedied. I'm completely at a loss.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. It's a barrel and trunnion that I pick up from someone, so I don't really know the history. The bolt and carrier that were included look like new. The barrel looks like if it is used has been used very little.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the barrel and painted up a cartridge. It looks the neck doesn't fit. Is there anybody that can ream this out for me or is there a place to rent a reamer for a 7.62x39?

·
Registered
22,592 Posts
Post pictures if you can. That sounds really weird... it's just the barrel and trunnion? Does the bolt and bolt carrier match the number on the trunnion (if it's on there)?

How much of the round is sticking out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something in the chamber sounds reasonable. The trunnion isn't marked so I don't know if it's original with the barrel or the bolt and carrier. Here are a couple of pictures one with the go gauge and one with the live round. It looks like the live round is sticking out about .06 inches more than the go gauge. P1020655.JPG P1020656.JPG

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do you have access to a broken shell extractor? If not, they are cheap to but and might be of help. You post pics of the barrel from the muzzle end and the chamber end? Could help diagnose your issue.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
it does seem like there is an obstruction in the neck area of the chamber, which would explain why head space gauges (which stop at the shoulder and have no neck) will fit but a loaded round will not.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I had a box of Egyptian ammo that none of the rounds would fit into the chamber.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try using a 7.62x39 round instead of a 7.62x51 :p
Very funny. I going to try a shell extractor. It's hard to see inside the barrel but all I can assume is that there is something in there. And just to be safe I will try one more different box of ammo.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I had a box of Egyptian ammo that none of the rounds would fit into the chamber.....
thats a good point...... so what brand of ammo are you using?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tula and Wolf but I do have some old Norinco if I can find it. I have had individual shells that didn't fit, but this time ever shell I try doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
Maybe the neck and shoulder of an old case is in the chamber? I've seen it several times on rifles. VERY difficult to see sometimes!
This...I spoke with a gunsmith who said the same. Use a reamer with a wrench, not powered, and work slowly to remove the broken neck. He has seen this problem before on
several examples and stated it is almost impossible to see the broken neck looking into chamber.

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
Try inserting a cleaning rod from the muzzle end and then attaching a .45acp cleaning brush. Pull the brush into the chamber and turn it into the broken piece of shell until it sticks. Then hit the cleaning rod with a mallet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info. First I went in with a drill bit that was close because I don't have a reamer. I scraped the bit around by hand a little. Then I went in with a long narrow pick and scraped the edge all the way around. I could see something working lose. Then I forced in the largest cleaning brush I have and turned it around and around. Then I tried some Wolf ammo and it worked. The Tula still won't go in all the way but all but one of the Wolf ammo I tried worked. I'm going to reinstall the barrel and I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts