AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a lightning strike about a week ago, it has fried everythiing. My time on here will be varied, as I have to beg, borrow and steal computers. To the people I have pending deals with, Payment is on the way.

This hit at a bad time, just before I start my pull of 8 days of 12s. Trying to work and coordniate repair is a pain.

I'll catch you on the flip side....

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I had a lightning strike cause about $12K worth of damage two years ago. My homeowners insurance covered every bit of it after the deductible. Turns out mine was from a faulty ground wire courtesy of the cable company. Instead of grounding my cable with a 12 ga solid copper ground, they used 24 ga aluminum stranded wire. I was amazed that I had received any damage because I have an Intermatic whole house surge protector and a Delta lightning arrestor on the main house panel, plus APC surge strips or UPS's on every computer and expensive electronic component.

Unfortunately the cable installer was a moron, and it came through the cable box and everything my router and network switch was connected to. I now have a lightning arrestor on the cable line too.

In any case check with your homeowners insurance. State Farm basically had me make a list, and they cut me a check, it was that simple. They never even sent anyone out.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Lightning struck my chimney about a year ago did $4k worth of damage to the chimney.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Slinger646 said:
We had a lightning strike about a week ago, it has fried everythiing. My time on here will be varied, as I have to beg, borrow and steal computers. To the people I have pending deals with, Payment is on the way.

This hit at a bad time, just before I start my pull of 8 days of 12s. Trying to work and coordniate repair is a pain.

I'll catch you on the flip side....
Best of luck to you, bro...

I can sort of relate...I was without electricity & internet for a few days after an ice storm this past Winter. We didn't have to replace anything but it sure as Hell was inconvient for those few days.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I am e-mailing my congressman as i type to demand that he introduce
legislation banning cloud to ground lightning.
It will be called the "Cloud to Ground lightning reduction and Property Protection act of 2008." It will ban all cloud to ground lightning strikes
in the continental US by 2015 and make it a Felony for lightning to cause
damage to personal property.

I would like him to introduce legislation making it mandatory for all residental
dwellings to have a "Lightning Damage protection system", Or LDPS
The LDPS will prevent the kind of damage that we are reading about
in the original post and will save consumers millions in insurance payments
over the coming years. In addition i will be opening a company that will
mfg and install these mandated systems to houses to prevent the banned
lightning from doing damage to personal property.

KyAKGuy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts