AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new AK-47 owner who has hurled about 200 rounds out of my new AK which I clean and oil after using it. Since the tolerances are a bit looser on a AK-47, would the use of a white lithium type grease be detrimental to the gun. Remember, I'm a new guy here and I take great care of all my firearms, it's a question that crossed my mind. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm new to the dark side as well, and have always been a CLP guy. But when i searched for properly lubricating an AK, I got to Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics, and I followed his advice to use grease. Seems to work well. I understand now that he is one of the premier AK guys, so I guess I followed good advice. I ran a few hundred rounds in short order, and the grease was still in place and looked good. I was surprised, especially as an AR guy that keeps a small bottle of clp with the gun at all times. I used hoppes gun grease, but he said cheap WL grease works fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm a big fan of Safariland CLP. I Clean my AK with it Lubricant with it and then wipe it down (Protect) with it. I've had great results. Especially good for AK's with painted finishes. It will not harm the paint.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Funny video of an AK we have posted before on The AKF. Notice towards the end how lubrication of your AK is a very delicate balance of a few select food groups....:cool:

Edit Add: A little grease on the rails and oil on the bolt stem and you will be gtg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would think if you lived where it got cold you wouldn't want use grease as it would freeze up. That being said, I do use grease on the rails, but oil everything else. The Russians use oil, if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

This is a good read GrantCunningham.com - Library

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use mobile one. Finger in it then rub the rails and bolt and re assemble, For cleaning i just use wd40 it works good.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Is it liquid? Is it slippery? Yes? Use it. You're not going to break it. I use hoppes, but I can always get a $4.00 quart of oil from autozone and i'll be good for months, if not longer.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I use rem oil like CLP too moly grease works too but I don't use grease in the winter. sig has come up with an all around lube that i like a lot also.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
I always use grease, and never had an issue.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts