AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Heggenstaller, Editor-in-Chief of the NRA's Shooting Illustrated magazine contacted me back in September and asked me for permission to use one of my pictures for an article on night vision in the November issue of the magazine. He told me that, in return for permission to use the photo, he would send me a copy of the November issue along with some back issues of the magazine. I agreed to his offer. Well, it is now the 11th of December and I have yet to see the article and back issues from Mr. Heggenstaller despite my sending him two emails. I have yet to get so much as an answer to my emails. This is, in my opinion, a very poor way to run a magazine. I tried to buy the issue locally but it doesn't seem to be for sale in my area. So, if any of you folks did get the magazine, could you please tell me if my picture was in fact used in the November issue as I can't get Mr. Heggenstaller to return my repeated emails. Also, if it is in fact in there, would one of you folks be so kind as to sell me this issue of you have it? Thank you.

Here is the picture that Mr. Heggenstaller asked for permission to use:

I will be posting this elsewhere in the hopes that Mr. Heggenstaller will deal a little more fairly with folks in the future.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I had a friend that worked for an Off Roading magazine back in the 1980s and as an example, an article on an event in march was not likely to get into the magazine for six monthes or more since a lot of graphic work had to be done. Most specialty magazines have a staff of only a few people and are working on putting out a magazine every month and are atleast three months behind or more always. Maybe Shooting Times is just getting it together, and a little behind schedule is there normal also.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
That has been my experience as well.
sometimes deadlines slip, sometimes stories are cancelled for various reasons.

print media is the hardest hit by both of these issues. I would contact him by phone.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
You're not 100% sure if the article used your picture? And you started this thread with saying you've been lied to?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 99.9% sure. Here are two of the contacts I received in early September from Mr. Heggenstaller:

While researching early night-vision devices for an upcoming article in Shooting Illustrated, I came across the images of your Eltro B8V you posted on the Maryland Shooters forum. With your permission, I would like to publish the image of the B8V mounted on the CETME (the last image in your wonderfully detailed post) in the November issue of the magazine. I would, of course, credit the photo to you.

If you are not familiar with Shooting Illustrated, allow me to give you some background. The magazine is published monthly by the NRA, but unlike American Rifleman, American Hunter and America's 1st Freedom, which are NRA Official Journals available to members only, Shooting Illustrated is available to any consumer via subscription or on the newsstand. Content focuses on self-defense and "tactical" firearms, gear and techniques. You can get a feel for the magazine by visiting ShootingIllustrated.com.

If you are agreeable to giving me permission to publish the image, I would be happy to send you back issues of Shooting Illustrated in return, as well as copies of the November issue in which your image would appear. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,
Adam Heggenstaller
Editor in Chief
Shooting Illustrated

Many thanks. I appreciate the time and effort you put into detailing the Eltro B8V, especially since you made it available on a public forum. It provided me with all the info I need.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd be happy to provide you with some back issues of Shooting Illustrated, along with the November issue, in which your photo of the Eltro B8V will appear. I'll just need a mailing address, which you can provide via PM or e-mail.

Take care, and thanks again.

Adam

He was quick to respond when he was wanting something. I sent him two follow-up emails in late October politely asking about the article and when I could expect shipment. Both went unanswered. The JANUARY issue is about to be released and I have still heard nothing. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to hear anything at this point so I feel obligated to inform others about how I was treated in hopes that they may avoid the possibility of being taken advantage of. I even started my online write-up with "All text and images that follow are copyright 2013 and are not to be used without my written permission." Poor work on SI's part.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Can you get his phone number? I cant stand when people try to contact someone and dont hear back and never try to call them. Yea, he should be looking at his emails, but emails are easy to put off. A random phone call isnt.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
You need to confirm 100% the picture was used before you state you were not compensated, especially if you are going to go around the internet publicly posting that they did not honor their deal with you.

I will go down to the local book store and see if I can find a copy of the November 2013 Shooting Illustrated myself.

Locking this one down. If you (or anyone else) can confirm they did use it, we can open it back up.

Dawg180

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
[ETA] confirmed by OP that his picture was used and the agreed upon compensation was not provided.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts