AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after building my first I am now hooked....ordered some ak-builder parts and made some of my own(yes I copied your design)...

Is a 12 ton press enough or should I go with the 20 ton?
Should I get the A-frame design or square?

Budget is $100-$200

Also I have heard that you should bake your parts at 200-250 for 30 minutes before pressing...not needed or makes life easier???

· Registered
487 Posts
I have a 12 ton Harbor freight H frame, on sale for under $100 when I picked it up. On the way home, I stopped by Home Depot and picked out about a dozen washers, including some thinner "fender" washers. When I built it up, I used the washers to close the gaps in the frame, and it came out nice and straight and stable. A welded 20 ton would be nice, but this works and was priced right.

· Registered
5,054 Posts
Alot of the wobble from the 12 ton "H" presses is that they (nuts & bolts) loosen after initial use. Keep an eye on them and re tighten after the first couple of uses.

A 12 ton will do anything you need AK wise

· Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Registered
446 Posts
I had the press get miss aligned while I was pressing a barrel pin out of a PKMS one time about 2 years ago.. The pin punch I was using shot out and hit me in my right ball. I was wearing jeans I NEVER saw the pin punch that's how hard it came out. I was also standing to the side of the press. After I got hit I started jumping up and down. I knew the pain was coming but it didn't for about 9 minutes. :doh:

So I go up stairs and sit on a chair, the next thing I know my father is SCREAMING my name asking me to wake up.. apparently I had a seizure then I woke up with him screaming.. Then my heart stopped and dad had to do CPR. I'm lucky to be here today my wife had called 911 when I had my seizure.. The doc told me after he got me stable something about a nerve going all the way from down there to your heart. I now wear a full leather trench coat,a hockey mask,goggles,gloves and a cup.

Two years later I now have TWO daughters ages 1 and 2. I thought I couldn't have kids HAHA I Mean 20tons to the nuts?

· Registered
3,540 Posts
RogueHK said:
I had the press get miss aligned while I was pressing a barrel pin out of a PKMS one time about 2 years ago.. The pin punch I was using shot out and hit me in my right ball. I was wearing jeans I NEVER saw the pin punch that's how hard it came out. I was also standing to the side of the press. After I got hit I started jumping up and down. I knew the pain was coming but it didn't for about 9 minutes. :doh:

So I go up stairs and sit on a chair, the next thing I know my father is SCREAMING my name asking me to wake up.. apparently I had a seizure then I woke up with him screaming.. Then my heart stopped and dad had to do CPR. I'm lucky to be here today my wife had called 911 when I had my seizure.. The doc told me after he got me stable something about a nerve going all the way from down there to your heart. I now wear a full leather trench coat,a hockey mask,goggles,gloves and a cup.

Two years later I now have TWO daughters ages 1 and 2. I thought I couldn't have kids HAHA I Mean 20tons to the nuts?
What are you serious? That's why you have to use a captive pin when pressing down with that much force

· Registered
446 Posts
Well I didn't have one.. Actually still don't but I use a big hammer now to knock them out. Some what safer :mrgreen:

jonpo said:
RogueHK said:

What are you serious? That's why you have to use a captive pin when pressing down with that much force

· Registered
86 Posts
12 ton will work but the 20 will work better. Here's my reason why, while the 12 provides plenty of pressure that will not be as smooth as the 20 ton. When pressing barrels back in the 12 ton tends to jump a bit. Even with lube the barrel can be a little tough to get in smoothly. This can make head spacing a chore, press in......oops, too far, press out, now back in. The 20 tons of power is smoother and I find that you can get that 1mm if you need it, where as the 12 may jump you past where you need to go.
My 2 cents

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.