AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on picking up a 22 suppressor (my first suppressor) as soon as I finish a couple of other projects. During my initial research I've noticed that just about everyone say that 22 suppressors get filled up with leading relatively quickly.
Why is this?
Would using only copper/brass coated rounds reduce this? Thanks for helping me out.

Also, which do you think I should go with? The cheaper sealed unit, or one of the new "takedown" ones?

·
Registered
420 Posts
They do get filled up with lead eventually, there's no current way around it. No currently available 22 ammo has a copper jacketed bullet. The copper looking rounds are actually just copper washed. They all deposit a bit of vaporized lead in the can with each shot. A lot of folks never fire enough rounds to actually clog the can up though, and if you do clog one up most manufacturers will clean it out for you for a fee. SWR will actually do it the first time for free.

You can make a case for either getting a sealed unit, a takedown model, or an all stainless can (use a harsh solvent to dissolve the lead.) If you've got to scrimp get a Tac-65 or an Outback 2, if you can afford a little more get an Pilot or an Spectre. The Spectre is the hot can to have right now - it's takedown, all stainless, performs well, and can handle 22 mags and even hotter rounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts