AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i almost done getting all the parts together for a later date MPi-KM.
Did any of them have a side rail for optics?
and if so which side rail that is on the market would be correct?

thanks

[/code]

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yes, some had side rails. I don't have a pic handy, but they are somewhat different than any repro on the market. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SteveM said:
Yes, some had side rails. I don't have a pic handy, but they are somewhat different than any repro on the market. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.
cool thanks
I want this to be a shooter and I love optics.

cant wait

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I got an actual DDR side rail as well, but SteveM probably will have a better pic and definitely have more details.

Here is the DDR rail

Here is a comparison to another rail, in this case, the kind that came on my Intrac MKII, so it should be Romy or a copy of a Russian...?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Here's the pic I have but I think CGSteve's is better. Where it gets tricky is that my pic is of a Spezialversion short MPi-KMS-72 that used a MPi-AK-74N rear trunnion. Like CGSteve's, this is a 74 pattern rail for a 74 rear trunnion. The earlier ones were different to accomodate the "AKM" rear trunnion rivet pattern, but I have no pics. :sad: If I had to guess I'd say they used the same as the AKML/N. Not really sure when/if they switched regular MPi-KMS-72 to this 74 pattern, but if they did it was after 1985. What year are you trying to clone?

Going through alot of German source material lately, will keep my eyes open for more info.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stottman said:
I have an E.German scope rail that uses a AKM style trunnion.. Not sure where it is, but its somewhere..

Its not Romanian, as I did compare it, and it does seem to match my DDR 74 rail.
stay safe downrange Stot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Stottman said:
I have an E.German scope rail that uses a AKM style trunnion.. Not sure where it is, but its somewhere..

Its not Romanian, as I did compare it, and it does seem to match my DDR 74 rail.
Match? How can AKM rail match the 74 rail? 74 trunnion has the holes/rivets in different spots than AKM...what am I missing here?

Did some more research to answer HirosStorageUnit conclusively...
almost done getting all the parts together for a later date MPi-KM.
Yes, if you build a late-pattern MPi-KM with square-hole FSB and cast GB you would be 100% correct putting a 74-pattern rear trunnion in there with a rail like CGSteve's. I would send Tantal CGSteve's pic and ask him what rail he has that is the closest.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
SteveM said:
Stottman said:

Match? How can AKM rail match the 74 rail? 74 trunnion has the holes/rivets in different spots than AKM...what am I missing here?

Did some more research to answer HirosStorageUnit conclusively...
almost done getting all the parts together for a later date MPi-KM.
Yes, if you build a late-pattern MPi-KM with square-hole FSB and cast GB you would be 100% correct putting a 74-pattern rear trunnion in there with a rail like CGSteve's. I would send Tantal CGSteve's pic and ask him what rail he has that is the closest.
Overall machining, etc..

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Unfortunately, nowhere. I bought it from a member here some time ago. I believe he told me that he got it from Kalinka a long time ago though.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
darn, looks like you just got it and opened it.:smile: I want to build a mpi-k but it just isn't right without one. It's one of those unobtainium AK parts I've been after. :neutral:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
qbertquartz2 said:
darn, looks like you just got it and opened it.:smile: I want to build a mpi-k but it just isn't right without one. It's one of those unobtainium AK parts I've been after. :neutral:
Someday, that rail will be on a MPi AK74N clone, so don't worry, it won't be wasted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts