AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
larue will be introducing the larue ak optic mount to all team larue members tonight at 5pm. you have to sign up to the team larue mailing list to see it.

hopefully it sucks and i dont have to spend more money :wink:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I hae been looking forward to this for a while. Larue ROCKS! :dance:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well I guess all hope is not lost. I just read the review by Fortier where he said "Currently, the mount will only interface with the Burris FastFire sight, but other optics will available in the future."

I'll hold out for the mount that accepts an Aimpoint T1.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mr. LaRue indeed says that they are open to making mounts for the Micro. That, in my opinion, will be the model to have.

Of course, just thinking out loud, it might be more difficult to integrate a rear sight blade into the mount if you have a Micro on there...

EDIT -- I'm also curious how well that arrangement holds zero.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Is anyone else dramatically underwhelmed?

Krebs looks better all the time.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Problems I see with this model are:

1) the Fastfire itself. I don't care for open-type dot sights in general, having owned a couple, seen a couple more, and being unimpressed with all of them

2) of the open-type dot sights, the Burris is on the lower end of the quality/price spectrum; a Docter or Pride-Fowler might be a better option

3) the integrated rear sight does not appear to have any provision for elevation adjustment, and it precludes the use of RPK sights, peep sights, night sights, express sights, etc.

The advantages are that it's lightweight, low-profile, and will work with any AK out there (except the AKS-74U), regardless of receiver type, stock type or siderail configuration (or lack thereof).

And it's relatively affordable, at under $300 for the optic *and* mount. Future versions incorporating different optics will of course be more expensive.

I applaud Mr. LaRue for breaking into the AK market. Although this product wasn't what I was anticipating and doesn't make my "gotta have" list, I'm sure it will be an excellent solution for a lot of folks. I hope he brings out a similar mount for the Aimpoint Micro in the near future, and makes the mount itself available separately for those who already have an Aimpoint to use.

My $.02.

·
Registered
9 Posts
am i the only one that thought it was a new mount....

the permatached fastfire..is a big no go..

take that off..add rails...please larue

thanks for trying

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't understand why this wouldn't be developed with an integrated Aimpoint Micro base.

I don't understand why the replacement rear sight isn't windage or elevation adjustable.

That having been said...the article linked on the LaRue website is entirely accurate when it says the AK simply doesn't lend itself well to adding optics the way we can to other guns. Any solution then, is going to have some fleas.

While this may have fleas, it does have potential. I'm just glad they gave up on the siderail idea I heard rumored many months ago.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Veer_G said:
Is anyone else dramatically underwhelmed?

Krebs looks better all the time.
+ eleventy billion

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ordered one about five minutes after I got the email from Larue. It will go on my Arsenal 107F. We'll see how it does. With Larue's customer service and a price less than $300 I can't go wrong.

Forrest

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
:confused:

I feel like I did when I stayed up all night to see the opening of Al Capone's vault on TV with Geraldo Rivera...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
So that's how charlie brown must have felt all those years.

It can be fixed.

1) Extend the platform, mount a quality AR/shotgun style aperture sight behind the optic and leaf sight.

2) Toss the current optic and leaf sight concept in the sand.

3) Allow an aimpoint micro or regular aimpoint to be mounted in the void.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts