AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all I have an interesting question. I was looking over my 2018 made WASR-10 and found a very faint marking right below the front trunnion:

I was curious so I posted in a few forums and could not find much help anywhere until a guy PM’d me. He was talking about it and showed a picture of refurb/re-arsenal markings and there was two that came up, with that one looking like Kyiv. He thinks the rifle was more than likely made using demilled Md. 63 parts, reparked and sold as a 2018 rifle. Can anyone confirm if this seems accurate or not? Also are there any other guys with WASR’s here that can check to see if theirs has this [X] marking? It’s in between the two rivets right below the front trunnion. Might need to turn on your phone flashlight to see it as mine is very faint. Looking forward to seeing some answers! Thanks y’all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
By 2018 WASRs were not using refurbished parts anymore. And the last domestic md63 rifles Romania produced were in 1989. I imagine the receiver here has no dimples which doesn't appear on any Romanian military rifles either so no reason for an arsenal to refurbish it.

As for what the mark you have there means I have no idea. That's the location where you'd normally see the triangle proof mark from Cugir factory receivers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By 2018 WASRs were not using refurbished parts anymore. And the last domestic md63 rifles Romania produced were in 1989. I imagine the receiver here has no dimples which doesn't appear on any Romanian military rifles either so no reason for an arsenal to refurbish it.

As for what the mark you have there means I have no idea. That's the location where you'd normally see the triangle proof mark from Cugir factory receivers.
appreciate the info! And I’ve never seen any kind of marks here on Romy rifles. That’s why I was curious. Nobody I have talked to has seemed to have figured it out. One person did give a pretty logical answer of the rifle was most likely assembled in 2018 using certain refurb parts, but idk the validity of that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's in the right spot for a refurb mark. Most commonly seen there are the Rguns kits from out of the Ukraine done in the Grau Arsenal at Balakleya. Those are a diagonal line across a square. The mark there is similar to the Kiev Arsenal but your X does not go all the way to the edges. I think it may be an inspector stamp but I'm not 100% on that.

I have a 68 Izzy with an X in a box proof mark but much smaller and in a different spot

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
That is an odd marking., but..,

How/why do you refurb a commercial semi auto receiver?

WASR rifles were assembled at some point using milsurp or take - off parts.
But a milspec receiver is useless for import to the USA on two points.
Third axis hole and double stack magwell.

Unless I'm missing something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is an odd marling., but..,

How/why do you refurb a commercial semi auto receiver?

WASR rifles were assembled at some point using milsurp or take - off parts.
But a milspec receiver is useless fir import to the USA on two points.
Third axis hole and double stack magwell.

Unless I'm missing something?
thats what I’m saying and why I was confused

1 - 6 of 6 Posts