AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
rayman1 said:
Those Bulgarian 45rd plastic magazines are definately the cat's meow. Strong, durable, and tons better than the bakelite variant. You won't go wrong getting one.
Yep...these are good to go.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
rayman1 said:
Those Bulgarian 45rd plastic magazines are definately the cat's meow. Strong, durable, and tons better than the bakelite variant. You won't go wrong getting one.
While I agree with you on the bulgy 45 rounders being excellent (I have 8), I'm curious how they are better than the bakelite variants. Could you elaborate?

· Registered
8,159 Posts
HobbyMachinist said:
rayman1 said:
While I agree with you on the bulgy 45 rounders being excellent (I have 8), I'm curious how they are better than the bakelite variants. Could you elaborate?
Sure. The bakelite magazines have a tendancy to splinter when they crack. And it doesn't take much to get them to. Actually, they can chip, splinter, and crack relatively easy. The plastic magazines are able to withstand and endure far more pressure and don't splinter when cracked. They just crack or chip, when they do. But they can still be operational with the internals (spring/guide) functioning. The spring/guide inside a cracked and splintered bakelite magazine will often hang on the splintering.

But one of the larger indicators of "better" is, why aren't the militaries that made them making them anymore and have gone to the plastic? :wink:

· Registered
8,159 Posts
I've destroyed many of them, and seen many more destroyed or broken. But it's also interesting to know there was at least two different styles of manufacture of the orange bakelite magazines - one will splinter quite well; the other seemed to have been made a bit harder or "plastic-ish."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.