AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished 'World Made by Hand' and earlier, read some of Matt Bracken's books.

If you haven't read either, the first is an America after collapse, where everything is local and we are at a 19th century technology level, plus what can be scavenged in the past. It's quite good, if you're looking for literary fiction (if you're after action, this isn't your book) and an optic into a possible future.

If you're looking for Tom Clancy/John Ross libertarian/right fiction, Bracken's the ticket.

Some thoughts/questions:

1. A line in the Kunstler book mentions paucity of Asian spices (decline in global trade). How long do peppercorns and cinnamon keep? Indefinitely?

2. Bracken's got me thinking about boats as a BOB, particularly if you live near a coastline or large body of water (Great Lakes, etc.). Those little 30-40' Bob Perry cutters seem like just the ticket. Any sailors here?

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I've had some different spices for years, and they still seem ok to me, just not as strong when fresh.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not a sailor by any means. But I did mess with power boats when I was younger. A boat requires a lot of maintenance. A Sail boat even more I would guess. But I do love the idea of sailing away to some tropical back wash and living out the remaining days drinking Rum and chasing Chica's.

Old Sarge

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have been boating my entire life. Had my captains license for 32 years. Just remember this where any boat is concerned, unless your wealthy, you had better be a darned good trouble shooting mechanic. Because all boats motor or sail require routine maintenance and boat loads of preventative maintenance. And if your relying on it for saving your bacon in an emergency or B.O.B situation you better be good at manufacturing parts from existing materials you have on hand. Sail boats are a whole lot of fun and would be a much better vehicle for survival then a motor powered vessel. But sailboats also require a vast knowledge to survive on. You must learn to sew sail cloth, to patch existing sails and how to care for them for long long term use. You need to have an abundant supply of replacement running lines and terminal tackle and wires to replace the ones that wear. And they will wear out with regular use. You also need a way to haul either a power or sailboat out of the water once every few years to do maintenance on the underside of the hull and all your through hull fittings. You will need to scrape barnacles and re paint the hull with anti fouling type paints which are only going to get harder and harder to find. Most of that work you can do yourself and doesn't require a mechanic, except the through hull fittings. I could go on and on but this pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've spent a fair bit of time around diesel trawlers, and have been looking at a lot of Bob Perry designed sailboats.

Seems like much of it is 'doing boat repair in the tropics' and '10% of value of the boat, per year, in repair/maintenance costs.' Looks a lot like the info is generally correct.

Boats do seem to offer some bugout advantages, to whit, mobility over water; and disadvantages as well.

CFish, thank you for your comments. It is the sailboat that I am most intrigued by; an ancient technology, despite stainless steel and fiberglass. Welcome whatever other thoughts you have...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts