AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,318 Posts
i usuallty have the oposite problem... after pounding the rivets in with a hammer against the flat part on a vise everything looks kinda flat.... :goof:

thats akm rear trunnion rivets btw.

if you're talking about the ones that need support from inside the reciever on the flap, use bolt cutter tool with one jaw flat, not cupped on both jaws like for the front trunnion... but i'm sure there's much nicer methods...

· Registered
2,091 Posts
The best way to get flat rivets is to start with commie flat rivets. If you can't get those you can get a set of AK-builder rivets and use a flat anvil, however you will not get the same effect as a commie flat rivet. The head on a commie flat rivet is not as large in diameter as an AK-builder rivet, and instead looks more like a thick nail head. You can turn the round head rivets down in a lathe before squishing them and get pretty close to a commie flat rivet look alike.

· Registered
621 Posts
I've used the AK Builder rivets, chucked them in a drill and contoured them on a belt samder.
Then used a flat backer plate which pretty much finishes shaping the flat head.
They looked pretty good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.