AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q-Gunner2 would appreciate the work I did today. (He has done this finishing technique a few times using my gear. It was his idea originally to do this technique in a quest to duplicate the original ROMY finish. It worked in spades! Beautiful finish!) A complete PITA to accomplish, but MAN! :grin: It looks great.
I tore down my KP build I did earlier this year on a flat and rebuilt it on a new NDS. While I was at it I wanted a more natural finish in keeping with the KP style. So I blasted all the parts down and parked them and then assemled the receiver to the barrel, headspaced it and pinned it and then hot blued all the parked parts. The hot blue tank turns the mag park a deep rich black color in just five minutes. Then you do a 30 minute hot water rinse to get the lye out of any crevices. So you get the best of both worlds. park that holds oil and a deep black coloring. I liked the original deep blue GC over park the last build had. But looking at this now, I like it even better! Brings out the glow in the Russian style Iron Wood pieces too.

All the parts are sitting on a towel covered in oil. I'll do a wipe down and assembly tomorrow and get pics then. For now I am too pooped to work anymore on it. Appropriately, I am celebrating by having a Baltika #3! :cool:

Once again I gotta say it. NDS receivers are just top notch. NO filing! Everything just fitted up perfectly. They nailed it. Makes building on it a real pleasure!

I'll get pics tomorrow guys!

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow...
I promised to help a friend today work on his Camaro. I didn't know it would take eight hours!

But I did get some pics taken. Indoors and out. This way you can see the finish under different lighting.

I love the way the IW stock set came out. Red dye and then amber shellac. The oiled hot blued park just looks great IMO. Now it looks "right" to me!

Here it is "before" with a park and deep blue GC finish.

And here it now rebuilt on a NDS. I have gone over it closely. I believe it'll function 100% at the range next week!
It has a 7.62 74 style brake from AKB. G3 double hook FCG. NDS receiver and AKB rivets. Iron Wood PG and HG's. Bulgy folder. Chinese smooth dust cover. Russian sling and mag. Drop case is Bulgy.
This is as close to a KP as I can get. That was a long stretch of work yesterday, but it sure came together nice!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Beautiful

:hail: :hail:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Very nice. You did wonders on the HG set. They look so good. Your rivit and finish work looks top notch. I love the finish..really nice color to it. This is a cool rifle.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments.

The rivets are from AKB as are most of my rivet tools. His tools are just top drawer. I really rcommend his stuff. A hard steel ball bearing works well to dimple even the hardened NDS receiver for the swell neck rivets. The finish is Brownell's mag park solution. It is almost fool proof to use. Then the home made hot bluing solution (Lye, fertilizer and distilled water at 270 degrees.) blackens it up in five minutes. Then a half hour hot water rinse and oiling finish it up. Very time consuming, but not difficult to accomplish. I have home made pans and do this on my garage's side porch!

This IS the first build I have done though that I was happy with every rivet the first time and didn't have to drill out and start over on any. That was a good "first" to accomplish! I have a large spare rivet collection from screwing up a number of sets and having to buy more.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Sweet! Looks too good to be a KP rifle though. You should've hampered your building skills with a six pack first maybe, for a more 'accurate' knock off. :grin: Easier than dragging it up and down an Afghan mountain for a yr or two.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took it and my Garand and my CZ82 to the Marine range this morning.
Man!! That was fun.

The KP just needed a slight elevation adjustment and then was spot on. Groups centered a couple inches above the bullseye at 25 yards.
Function was smooth and 100%. Used some Wolf FMJ ammo I bought a couple years ago.
I did have a few odd rounds that has me seeing a flash of orange gasses come out the ejection port after the shot though. That was startling! I checked a bunch of the cases and they showed no distress at all. I'll re-check head space as well as the fit of the GP in the BG in case gasses are getting past it. It was a little thing. But I feel it needs looked at. Next trip I'll use ammo from a different batch. It may just have been slow burning powder. I've had this happen with Wolf 45 acp ammo in short barreled pistols.
That 74 style brake works really well. The muzzle barely gets off the bullseye after a shot. So a follow up is quick. The NDS premium receiver makes the carrier run very smooth. Recoil felt quite soft.
Funny thing is the Garand's recoil doesn't feel too bad to me either. BIG boom. It's got a great bark to it. But very comfortable to shoot. And at 25 yards three careful shots make a clover leaf pattern on the target!
The CZ was it's usual excellent self. Felt like a soft shooter compared to the rifles. :cool:

·
Registered
491 Posts
KP Build

Kudos to you, that is a beautiful rifle.

:hail: :hail: :hail: We're not worthy :hail: :hail: :hail:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
If you've ever shot an AK in the dark, you'd be surprised to see just how much fire and spark comes out of the ejection port.

Garands are fantastic to shoot... the recoil doesn't bother me at all, and you gotta love the accuracy.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is an indoor range. Easy to see flashes. M44's are REALLY fun to shoot there. :grin:

I just finished cleaning the guns. The headspace on the KP is very snug. You can just rotate the bolt into place over a spent case with your finger pressure. Almost no movement possible once rotated into battery. GP fit well in the GB. Gas port is just over 1/8" so it's not over-sized. I went all over it checking fitments and it looks 100% to me. Right now I'm thinking slow burning powder. Any time I have a qualm about something I look into it. I like to understand what is going on.

I re-loaded my range mags with some GT for the next trip. We'll see if that works better.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Very nice BLACK finish ! Its so black that I thought it was Gunkote ak black ! Very nice ! :allright:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Super nice Sidecarnutz, as usual! :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts