AK Rifles banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I found a guy that had NOS Russian 74 Rubber Buttstock Pads stashed under the table. I wanted them BAD, but I couldn't bring myself to pay the $50 each he was asking for them. I have no clue what they're worth. Anyone else know?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I left GA at 0300 Friday and drove 6 hours on no sleep. Got within 2.5miles of gate only to have cops blocking entrance and not letting anyone in. Waste of 8.5/9 hours, so dejected I went to gas station up the road and killed some time. Tried again and after another 1-2 hours sitting and moving at snails pace I was over it and drove my exhausted Serbian ass to hotel.

I didn’t even try today after I heard it was a carbon copy. Very disappointed and pissed but it got me out of our woods if nothing else…

I made the long trip back home having never set foot in venue. Unreal

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ouch, sorry man. You would have thought the police would have come up with a game plan for Saturday after seeing what happened Friday, but oh well.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I left GA at 0300 Friday and drove 6 hours on no sleep. Got within 2.5miles of gate only to have cops blocking entrance and not letting anyone in. Waste of 8.5/9 hours, so dejected I went to gas station up the road and killed some time. Tried again and after another 1-2 hours sitting and moving at snails pace I was over it and drove my exhausted Serbian ass to hotel.

I didn’t even try today after I heard it was a carbon copy. Very disappointed and pissed but it got me out of our woods if nothing else…

I made the long trip back home having never set foot in venue. Unreal
dang, that sucks. you didn't want to try walking in?

·
Registered
22,961 Posts
The reason why this was so FUBAR was because it was advertised as the last machine gun shoot. The response was understandably fuckhuge because it was 'now or never' for a lot of people, mostly within a days travel. If it was like this every year, there'd be no fucking way I'd go by my onesy.

There's an alternative that might soak up some of the enthusiasm in the coming years.

·
Registered
936 Posts
All aboard the pain train to pound town... if you hate waits and crowds, you're going to have a real bad time. (10G's after action report)

So having a momentary lapse in judgement.. again.. I managed to grab cash and gas but not gym shoes (sandals) and got out 40 min later than I wanted, which might not have cost me as badly as I thought. Made halfway decent time right until the GPS started pinging about delays. It directed me to go a different way than Highway 31.. I think it was 44? I didn't go the way of the liquor store... but I was 1.5 miles away when I hit the snarl. I didn't keep track of time but I think it was an hour and a half by the time I got my ass into .. well it wasn't East Jesus.. it was the land before time under power lines. A lot of people weren't as lucky as I was.. I could not believe how many people were there. There were records set today, guaranteed.

I made it into the show proper at 10:45 or so. tooled around until noon then headed towards Apex's tent.. bought a nice C grade magazine to get the shirt. Cell reception was shit and in retrospect.... cell numbers might have been a good idea to share via PM. ah well. Met up with itsnodawayitustabe and wandered around the show ,window shopped the various MGs both transferable and dealer sample. Some ultra rare examples were there as well as some interesting displays.

It rains pretty much every single fucking year, and this was no exception. Fortunately it held off for most of the day, only one real good spring shower to hose everyone down and turn the air into soup. Flipflops were not a good choice for footwear and there was a patch of mud that grabbed my foot like it was fucking concrete and arrested my movement in such a way that it actually hurt a little. Nobody else was insane enough to wear sandals though so.. anyway.. rewinding a bit.

Pack a fucking lunch because you'll starve to death waiting in line for $3 hot dogs. I ended up not eating at all while I was there because by the time I was hungry, the lines were fucking insanely long and not moving at all. Not to worry though, one way to absolutely kill your appetite dead is to catch a whiff of the unholy aroma wafting out from one of the precious few Port-A-Potties that dot the landscape. Hope you have the ability to hold your shit, because even fast food restrooms are preferrable to that Hellscape.

There were deals to be had, but nothing super screaming that I saw. I might not have had the best awareness though since I wasn't in the best shape what with the whole not eating thing and all. Picked up a couple odds and ends, random stuff that looked cool. AK builder was there with barrels, flats and 80% bent/heat treated receivers along with some other bits. I ended up heading home around 3pm to avoid rush hour.. grabbed food on the way so I could.. you know.. survive the drive home. ugh.

If it was bad on a Friday, I can't even imagine what it's going to look like Saturday when people are off work. Holy shit.
I left 10 minutes into the night shoot to get a head start, a line of people still walking in to get tickets, if you were up on the bleachers already you couldn't get a good view anyway. Highway 31 was fucked so I ended up taking I65 back to my hotel. I went the second day but left around 1030, it was nice to see some of those older mgs get shot but it was clearly more packed by lunch time of Saturday and the only 2 places to buy food(fuckin really?) Were running out of things.
Yes but obviously not meant to be for me. I would’ve went more for vendors/AK parts but after hearing/seeing reports I may have not missed much
Any deals that were had were scooped up in the first 3 hours of day one. I didnt see anything remotely good for ammo prices. 50 cpr was the low. I did see some 7.62 Tok for 45 cpr but that didnt last. One place a several nice TypeC early m16 stocks but they sold out before I made it back to them.

Reactions: cruiser

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
could have definitely done without the Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood music.
Interesting, then we have this comment posted on "machinegun Boards" from another viewer:

Coming this Fall from APEX Pictures: "Smooth jazz vs. Automatic weapons fire" Rated "M" for "Music to my ears".

I guess different people have different tastes!

Richard

·
Super Moderator
12,281 Posts
The reason why this was so FUBAR was because it was advertised as the last machine gun shoot. The response was understandably fuckhuge because it was 'now or never' for a lot of people, mostly within a days travel. If it was like this every year, there'd be no fucking way I'd go by my onesy.

There's an alternative that might soak up some of the enthusiasm in the coming years.

Thanks 410 I might have to hit that up now that live in the same state

41 - 56 of 56 Posts