AK Rifles banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sorry, we just have not had any opportunity to buy surplus AK magazines in several years.
That reflects in what we have on the web site.
New manufacture I can still source and so those are always in stock at a good price.
Interestingly enough, one of our local customers was showing us AK magazines that were in use by the (now disbanded) Afghan Army, turns out they were the same Croatian magazines we sell new!

Richard

·
Registered
22,961 Posts
its go time folks

What's the plan?

Reactions: corpsman5

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The APEX booth is all set up and my people have been selling!
Come by on Friday or Saturday, purchase some things and don't forget to ask about our special "Last Knob Creek" shirts.

Richard

·
Registered
22,961 Posts
....fresh hell. I'll just have to wear something super conspicuous like my orange polo shirt and wander around. Gonna try to get there stupid early tomorrow so I'm not parking in East Jesus Overflow.

How about Noon on Friday in front of Apex? ...the pass phrase is "The Carbuncle Ate Itself"

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My people left the hotel in Elizabeth town at 0715.
5 hours later the person who didn't walk in parked the car.
The other 2 decided to walk after waiting for an hour up on Dixie highway.
They opened the tent and worked sales.
The Sheriff eventually closed off Rt 44 at Jerry's liquor and stopped letting people into the show, that was about 12:30.
Seems like the show may have been short staffed and I am not there but some opinions about "not well run" have been mentioned.
The line for ticket sales went all the way down the hill to the old guard shack!
Lots of lines to wait in today...

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Holy cow! That was the biggest shit show I’ve ever seen in my entire life. By 8:00 a.m., I had made it to Highway 31 within 2 miles of the liquor store. I sat in traffic for 4 freaking hours. I finally made it to the liquor store, and the cops were turning people away. I had to turn around go back and park about a mile down the highway. Once I finally made the long walk to the range, it was so packed you could hardly move. The line to pay your entry fee was about 200 yards long. Luckily, that part went by fairly quick.

·
Registered
22,961 Posts
All aboard the pain train to pound town... if you hate waits and crowds, you're going to have a real bad time. (10G's after action report)

So having a momentary lapse in judgement.. again.. I managed to grab cash and gas but not gym shoes (sandals) and got out 40 min later than I wanted, which might not have cost me as badly as I thought. Made halfway decent time right until the GPS started pinging about delays. It directed me to go a different way than Highway 31.. I think it was 44? I didn't go the way of the liquor store... but I was 1.5 miles away when I hit the snarl. I didn't keep track of time but I think it was an hour and a half by the time I got my ass into .. well it wasn't East Jesus.. it was the land before time under power lines. A lot of people weren't as lucky as I was.. I could not believe how many people were there. There were records set today, guaranteed.

I made it into the show proper at 10:45 or so. tooled around until noon then headed towards Apex's tent.. bought a nice C grade magazine to get the shirt. Cell reception was shit and in retrospect.... cell numbers might have been a good idea to share via PM. ah well. Met up with itsnodawayitustabe and wandered around the show ,window shopped the various MGs both transferable and dealer sample. Some ultra rare examples were there as well as some interesting displays.

It rains pretty much every single fucking year, and this was no exception. Fortunately it held off for most of the day, only one real good spring shower to hose everyone down and turn the air into soup. Flipflops were not a good choice for footwear and there was a patch of mud that grabbed my foot like it was fucking concrete and arrested my movement in such a way that it actually hurt a little. Nobody else was insane enough to wear sandals though so.. anyway.. rewinding a bit.

Pack a fucking lunch because you'll starve to death waiting in line for $3 hot dogs. I ended up not eating at all while I was there because by the time I was hungry, the lines were fucking insanely long and not moving at all. Not to worry though, one way to absolutely kill your appetite dead is to catch a whiff of the unholy aroma wafting out from one of the precious few Port-A-Potties that dot the landscape. Hope you have the ability to hold your shit, because even fast food restrooms are preferrable to that Hellscape.

There were deals to be had, but nothing super screaming that I saw. I might not have had the best awareness though since I wasn't in the best shape what with the whole not eating thing and all. Picked up a couple odds and ends, random stuff that looked cool. AK builder was there with barrels, flats and 80% bent/heat treated receivers along with some other bits. I ended up heading home around 3pm to avoid rush hour.. grabbed food on the way so I could.. you know.. survive the drive home. ugh.

If it was bad on a Friday, I can't even imagine what it's going to look like Saturday when people are off work. Holy shit.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
All aboard the pain train to pound town... if you hate waits and crowds, you're going to have a real bad time. (10G's after action report)

So having a momentary lapse in judgement.. again.. I managed to grab cash and gas but not gym shoes (sandals) and got out 40 min later than I wanted, which might not have cost me as badly as I thought. Made halfway decent time right until the GPS started pinging about delays. It directed me to go a different way than Highway 31.. I think it was 44? I didn't go the way of the liquor store... but I was 1.5 miles away when I hit the snarl. I didn't keep track of time but I think it was an hour and a half by the time I got my ass into .. well it wasn't East Jesus.. it was the land before time under power lines. A lot of people weren't as lucky as I was.. I could not believe how many people were there. There were records set today, guaranteed.

I made it into the show proper at 10:45 or so. tooled around until noon then headed towards Apex's tent.. bought a nice C grade magazine to get the shirt. Cell reception was shit and in retrospect.... cell numbers might have been a good idea to share via PM. ah well. Met up with itsnodawayitustabe and wandered around the show ,window shopped the various MGs both transferable and dealer sample. Some ultra rare examples were there as well as some interesting displays.

It rains pretty much every single fucking year, and this was no exception. Fortunately it held off for most of the day, only one real good spring shower to hose everyone down and turn the air into soup. Flipflops were not a good choice for footwear and there was a patch of mud that grabbed my foot like it was fucking concrete and arrested my movement in such a way that it actually hurt a little. Nobody else was insane enough to wear sandals though so.. anyway.. rewinding a bit.

Pack a fucking lunch because you'll starve to death waiting in line for $3 hot dogs. I ended up not eating at all while I was there because by the time I was hungry, the lines were fucking insanely long and not moving at all. Not to worry though, one way to absolutely kill your appetite dead is to catch a whiff of the unholy aroma wafting out from one of the precious few Port-A-Potties that dot the landscape. Hope you have the ability to hold your shit, because even fast food restrooms are preferrable to that Hellscape.

There were deals to be had, but nothing super screaming that I saw. I might not have had the best awareness though since I wasn't in the best shape what with the whole not eating thing and all. Picked up a couple odds and ends, random stuff that looked cool. AK builder was there with barrels, flats and 80% bent/heat treated receivers along with some other bits. I ended up heading home around 3pm to avoid rush hour.. grabbed food on the way so I could.. you know.. survive the drive home. ugh.

If it was bad on a Friday, I can't even imagine what it's going to look like Saturday when people are off work. Holy shit.
This is a perfect synopsis of the situation at Knob Creek. I concur on all points. I always carry my backpack, and I was lucky enough to throw in a bottle of water and some breakfast bars. I wasn't about to stand in those 2 hour lines for over-priced food or drink.

I spent nearly all of my time in the pole barn (as I call it). When I ventured out to the dealers in the tents, I almost felt sorry for them (not really) due to the horrendous smell from the porta-johns. It was funny, though... When I first started getting a whiff of it, I thought it was this ole' greasy looking guy next to me. I was like... "damn, this MF'er stinks!".

A lot of stuff was 'pandemic' or 'biden' priced, but like you said, there were deals to be had. My problem was (and always is) that there is so much stuff to look at, it's hard to focus and be methodical or efficient about what you're doing. At normal gun shows, there's not enough product to worry about going around trying to find the best deal, or the best condition items. I always find myself doing an initial run through, while taking pictures of the numbered locations so I know where to come back to.

AK parts kits seemed to be non-existent this year. I don't recall seeing even one. I saw plenty of AK parts and magazines, though. Most of it too high to consider. Some wasn't too bad, though. I bought a few AK parts. Mostly furniture. I was also pleased to find a dealer that had several large boxes of M16A1 triangular hand guards that were priced right. I think I ended up with 7 sets. Most of my money ended up going to G.I. surplus 30 round AR mags. I've got a bunch of those things, but always find myself paranoid they're going to ban them again. I found a good deal, so I ended up buying just over 100. o_O Actually, that's one of the few things that makes me wish I was going to be there tomorrow. I would definitely buy 100 more. I simply couldn't carry any more on that long trek back to the car. I don't know how far it was, but I'm thinking maybe 2.5 miles.

I had full intentions of trying to meet a few of you guys, but due to all that mess, I didn't get in until something like 12:30 or 1:30. (can't even remember)

Had I known to bring one, a bicycle would have been the perfect thing to have today.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
So i picked up my brother, and we were on our way by 4:05am for the 4 hour drive, plan was to be on site around 8. At 8:10 we hit the first line, we were 3/4 miles north of the liquor store completely stopped. Sat there for 10 minutes, the only movement we saw was due to cars pulling a uturn and getting out of line. I knew at that point we were parking on the highway somewhere and walking. We looked at the map, decided to backtrack north, then East so we could come down Weaver run rd, and hopefully be a lot closer by the time we hit the next wall. We ended up about 1/2 mile from 44 by the time we stopped again, couldn’t just park right away due to a guard rail, once we got past that I pulled off as far as able and parked it. We were on foot by 8:40, with everyone still sitting in their cars. Every other year I had gone, I got lucky and magaged to park in the lot, but upon leaving we always saw cars lined up on the highway so I just took that as inevitable this year. I was surprised as we walked in that almost no one was parking, just people sitting in their cars. Oh well, good for us I figured as we walked past 300+ cars and many more people I figured we would get in before. Practically walked right up to the admission booth and were down by the firing line by 9:15.

We found out they had delayed the start because shooters/vendors/employees couldn’t get to the damn range. At 9:30ish a lady came on the loudspeaker and said that the minister(for the morning prayer) was stuck, as well as the national anthem speaker. so she was going to do her best. She said the prayer, they played a recording of the anthem and the range went hot. We went straight to the pole barn, started making our way around the tables. Quickly found out that a good 1/5 of the tables were still tarped because the vendors couldn’t get in, but pressed on.
To be continued..

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Very little deals to be had, like other have said still panic prices. But I found a 30rnd G3 mag for $30, snatched that up, would see another for $100 later. Saw a few AK kits, but we’re talking $800 for a Romy G or AMD65. Nobody had good piles of pouches to dig through, I saw some guy shell out $120 for a Chicom vest he could have found on eBay for $30. Dug through piles of G3 mags and came home a bunch of Rhinemetall and Norway crown marked ones. Funny thing about Apex booth, I had to wait forever to spend $30(2 galil mags and a shirt) because the guy in front of me bought the Dshk they had for $10500, poor kid trying to count all the new hundreds stuck together still in the bank band with no table. I don’t even think The guy even asked about it(country of origin, matching, etc), he was just concerned about getting it off the tripod so itd fit in his truck. Commbloc was there, had 5 tables but he must have had all the gems hidden. I will say if you like inert RPGs/projectiles, then there was good stuff to choose from. Saw a Steyr Maadi machine gun, and a rough looking Poly legend for $4000. I really wanted to find a deal on MP5 mags and a HK mag clamp, no dice. Went down to the rental range, hoping for some time behind a PKM but that was a no go, only rental had it fixed on the biggest tripod ever, wouldn’t let me take it off, or even go prone with the bipod. I said if I’m not going to feel it, your not getting paid. After that it was about time to head out as I needed to be home before 6:30…

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Notice how the case of 7N6 says "non-corrosive". I noticed one tent outside had them stacked up for $400 each. That was the cheapest I saw.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I would have bought a lot more stuff, but I simply had no way to carry it all back to my car that was 2-3 miles away.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So it’s time to leave, my bro is getting in line for shirts, I say I’m headed to the car, and the plan was I’d get to the car first, by then the traffic would have cleared up, I’d drive the 1/2 mile back to the entrance and pick up my brother. I walk up the hill to the admission check point and see our plan is already in the shitter. The place was packed when I left the show, and now I see the line of peeps trying to get in goes all the way to the horizon. I start my ‘walk’ app on my watch to track the distance back to the car. Here’s my vid of the people line that goes all the way to the guard shack .3 miles from the start. When the vid starts, that green roof above the pickup is where they are going.
The line
And the line of cars didn’t get any better, made it to the road at the end of the property and it was just lines of more people sitting in their cars in each direction as far as you could see. Some had parked on 44, but not as much as you would think. Talk to some people as I pass, warn them what they are in for, show them the vid of the line. It rains for a minute, keep walking, make the jog over to Weaver and another 1/2 mile to my car. Still just nothing but people sitting in their cars. I hear the sheriff closed the Dixie Hwy, I’m no longer worried about my car being towed because even if they wanted, a tow truck wasn’t getting thru the traffic. Get back to my car and finally found a bunch of people around it followed suit, and I was at the end of a line of 20+ cars that wised up and set out on foot earlier. We load up, 3pt turn and head out. That road had another 1 mile of cars behind where I was parked of people waiting.
Damn shame, I wonder if anything was left to sell today.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
I kind of wondered how it would play out.

Thanks for the eye witness reports!

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I had a backpack that was packed full of AK and AR furniture, as well as a bag in each hand containing 50+ AR mags. Not one single person in a pickup offered to let me ride on their tailgate. However, one guy sitting in traffic headed the opposite direction must have felt bad for me. He said he would have offered me a ride, had he been going my way. He also gave me a cold Dr. Pepper, so that was awful nice of him.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts