AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I slap on a heavy profile milled style barrel on an AKM?

I am looking at this for the barrel: http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-601.html

will there be problems getting the gas system to mate up? What would be the correct gas block and gas tube to buy? Can I use the AK47 style tube with the holes? I prefer the slant style gas block if possible.

will I be able to use an egyptian trunnion and RSB with perhaps a little profiling on a lathe?

Anybody out there with a line on a good serviceable barrel assy for sale or trade?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I believe with that barrel uses a milled type RSB and a 90 degree gas block. I would just get a Romanian barrel from apex.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AK shooter said:
I believe with that barrel uses a milled type RSB and a 90 degree gas block. I would just get a Romanian barrel from apex.
I already have a romy barrel, but decided I want to go with a heavy barrel if I can.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I believe that barrel from the RSB forward is actually thinner than an AKM barrel.

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
That is not a heavy barrel except at the RSB area to behind the handguard retainer. It uses he 90 degree gas block ala AK74 which is AK74/AKM diameter and the FSB is standard AK74/AKM diameter.
New generation Bulgarian barrels are that way regardless if used on milled or stamped builds.

As far as what barrel you can use on a AKM trunnion or receiver. With some trimming you can use AK47 or RPK etc., but you have to open up the ears on the front trunnion.

RPK Khybers are cool too on bulged 1.5mm receivers with chopped barrels. I built one a few years ago.

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
I would not spend that type of money on that barrel.
Do you have the AK47 barel cmponents for that AK47 pattern barrel? No real value in putting an AK47 front end on a AKM. There are other options incudung even a US barrel. If you want a one-off Khyber build a chopped AK74 FSB., worn gas block and furniture., unusual grips etc. I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
Many folks think any shiny AKM with a triangle folder is a "Khyber Pass". That is fine I suppose., but to me they are generally worn looking rifles with unique features from inexpensive or worn or re-purposed or mixed parts.
In the pics you saw I used old parts, Galil trigger guard, cut and mofified Saiga AK74 chopped FSB, Russiuan trunnion, RPK front end, etc., etc.

What are you looking to build. Pic of the "look"?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some old RPK handguards and a wood pistol grip and one of those experimental bipods like Buckoff has in the Khyber Forum. The Bipod is really trick, but it fits loose on an AKM barrel.

copes has all the used bulgarian barrel components I would need for under 100.

$260 doesnt seem too awful bad for a new factory comblock barrel as long as it can be made to work with my egyptian trunion and rear sight block.

I've learned a lot so far by not wasting my money on that first SLR-95 barrel, so I appreciate all the input.

A heavy barrel with a ratty old type 1 bayonet is the look I am going for. I want it to look beat, but still be accurate and chrome-lined durable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts