AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several threads on the Forum regarding the ‘Khyber Pass’ rifles, however, it appears that a missing link has been located in Afghanistan and I thought I would post the info. Johno asked me to post this.

To summarize briefly, Bin Laden was filmed some time back shooting a 7.62 caliber AKM with a Russian ‘style’ side folding AKS74 stock. Several pictures emerged of Uzbek soldiers with this type of rifle and recently a Forum member from Uzbekistan stated that these rifles were ‘most likely’ built in Uzbekistan and were being used by a border police special unit of some sort. Then photographs turned up of modified RPK’s with the same stock. There were all sorts of speculations as to the origin of the weapon, ie, one Russian arsenal or the other, Pakistani ‘craftsmen’, etc.

A friend, who is in Afghanistan, sent me pictures of two captured AK’s. They are ‘probable’ (the trunnion markings look authentic) Russian AKM’s that were restocked with a side folder by an anonymous Paki craftsman.

At any rate, here are some of the above mentioned pictures and the ones sent to me by my friend.

Conversions of Russian AKM's.

I found this photo recently of Taliban weapons. On the far right is an AKM with a side folding stock and a '74 style' break, a similar set up to the ones above.

Some more pictures and information from my friend of a captured Khyber Pass RPK, AKM, and 'Kalikov' conversions.

Molot marking and serial number ground and re-stamped.

Top cover with an odd slot.

The Afghans refer to shortened AK's as "Kalikov's. This was built from a Russian Type 2.

'Kalikov' converted from a Russian AKM.

Another AKM modification (note the rivet work and gas piston tube).

Sleeved barrel.

More quality side folding stock conversion on an AKM.

Another from Afghan, an '84 T-3 Krink?????

Reactions: lopojo

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Thanks for your efforts, this is like a goldmine of KP info! :grin:

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Very cool. thanks for posting,

Man those rifles looked khyberd uped :grin:

Cant get over the rivit work on the last one..yikes...

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
It just goes to show how tough the AK is, these rifles have seen constant abuse for almost 40 years :wink:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
excellent pics. the muzzle devices are especially interesting on some

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
WOW :shock: Some of those look like very rough work! The AK is a very tough weapon! Thanks for the great pics! My conclusion is that a KB is any type of AK variant that has been worked over by a hand drill and a hand file :smile: Those milled rifles are nucking Futs!

T :smile:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I really hope the technical intel guys are bringing home examples of these guns. They should be in a museum.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Goes to show what some basic materials and technical skills can produce under even the most primitive conditions.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
gun

It's not a shame what they do to those gun's , it's amazing.Those gun's are a dime a dozen over there, so to modify them is no loss

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
zb-30 said:
Some of those conversions are just insane!
Tools for the job,.....................what do you do when you need alot of firepower in a small package.....................chop an AK :wink:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great thread ;) Almost thought you posted a pic I have been looking for. IT was a KP style but I know for certain the pic was taken in the Panshjir Valley. Both were type 3's one w/ fixed stock and the other underfolding. Both used the 90degree gb and 74 style FSB and comp.......... very interesting kalinkov ;) Thanks, Craig

........I'd give a $20 bill for the photo ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
EXCELLENT thread. What a wealth of info. Thanks a lot!

My KP AKM is my favorite gun. :dance:

ETA: Ohmigod! That's beautiful! Would love to make a clone of that!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good stuff

1 - 20 of 54 Posts