AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly making a khyber pass rifle ak-47 one part at a time.

More pics. Tommorrow.

Billet brass grip stud and sling plate for a milled gas block.

M6x1.0 tap grip thread

The brass is "ampaloy45" almost impossible to file.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Re: Kyber build piece by piece...

You have a long way to go, but it's a start. :animak:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

jonpo said:
Why did you decide to go with brass?
I figure the haji's like shiney handmade parts. And is easy to machine.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts

You are certainly ambitious! Just do make them too nice.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

l4mbr3tt4 said:
You are certainly ambitious! Just do make them too nice.

Every new part is gunna be kyber'ed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . All the other parts will match up finish wise as they are from the worst kits,.. rusted/broken.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

New rear trunnion so to speak,.. using a badly demilled ak74 rear trunnion. Filed out the side plate needs to be welded on.

The bent plate matched up close to factory bulg side folder in size. Its a latch off a electric box, filed to fit. Loose fit for the pic. Needs to stick welded together. The rear tang is from a romy G kit rear trunnion I used for a pistol build.

Painted stock from the recent milled bosnian kits, fairly beat up w/ small brass tacks.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Useing a cover plate I collected from a old sewing machine I tore apart for the parts/ fine threaded screws, turned it into a data plate with the builders name, i.e. me.
Soild brass flathead screws, chrome plated plate, hand stamped lettering!!!! Adds a touch of class.... I then chucked it across the cement shop floor to weather it.

Built by
M****** *.
K*********
Summer 2011
7.62x39MM

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haji's don't have nodaks so,.. I found the bottom of really old 55 gallon oil drum where I shoot a few weeks ago. It measures .056 thick. The paint and font on it looked from the 20s or earlier. Looking it over I could tell it was good steel when I saw the top part all shot up. Seemed almost bullet proof steel compared to the new drums all riddled someone left. Brought it home and traced the outline of a old tapco flat. Only enough steel for one. Cut it out on my buddies band saw, folded into the best basic shape of a nodak I was using as to copy/blueprint. :mrgreen:

The little press brake is in a shed w/ no lights. Folded it up in one shot in less than a min. All the diamensions are w/ in .020 here and there of a 7.62 nodak receiver. The radius in the corners are a little bigger. It was starting to get a few super small cracks at the bends, high carbon mtl. ? I figured fuck it, good enough for me. See no issue w/ function.

Put inside of the lid as the outside of the receiver. It was the smoothest as it had been soaking in oil since ww1. Buffed both sides when it was a flat w/ 3m pads.

Rough cut the mag well w/ friends band saw.

Stamped mag dimples w/ a punch, hammer, and a hardened block as a backing plate I fab'ed up quick.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing this finished.

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
Can I see the pics of you sitting on the on the dirt floor with the folding brake at your feet in the unlit shed so I can get the full ambiance of the build? Nice journey. :dance:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to shine my headlights in the door to see what we where doing. I spent more time swatting at bugs w/ my hat and drinking beer than work on the blank. Didn't think it would turn out half as good as it did. Never folded a receiver before.

Misc barrel and fcg parts starting to look as if they'd been left outside a few days. Fsb is off a de-banned romak 5.45. Amd front trunnion, rest is bulg milled parts.

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
I'm thinking this is not a shiney "tourist" model Khyber.,with 4 coats of polyshinyl :smile: Ha!.
What kind of barrel., A $14 Yugo perhaps for the 47 pattern Bulgy stuff to fit? :dance:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a bunch when they were $10 for yugo barrels. This is the worst pull marked one I received. Only the cheapest junk for this gun. :beer:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Outstanding! Youre going all out.

Maybe go over some of the cast parts with a file to make them look like they were hand crafted?

:allright:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I've seen Khyber clones and then there is this. You sir have given all the bedazzled, 7.62 triangle folders something to aspire to.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AKBLUE said:
Can I see the pics of you sitting on the on the dirt floor with the folding brake at your feet in the unlit shed so I can get the full ambiance of the build? Nice journey. :dance:
I'm the guy w/ the beard....

1 - 20 of 84 Posts