AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k., how many of you sillies said this would never happen?

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Doesn't it still have to be ratified by Congress?
Yes, in the Senate and has to be a two-thirds vote in favor. That will never happen.

There has been quite a few treaties the US has signed on to but never ratified.

Kerry signing it is just political posturing for the liberal base to show that "they tried" and give a talking point to vilify Republicans.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Yes, in the Senate and has to be a two-thirds vote in favor. That will never happen.

There has been quite a few treaties the US has signed on to but never ratified.

Kerry signing it is just political posturing for the liberal base to show that "they tried" and give a talking point to vilify Republicans.

Yup. It isn't going anywhere but the trash can and everyone on all sides knows it...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I read on another forum that once signed, this treaty can be ratified by ANY future congress.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Specifically, it can be ratified by 2/3rds of any future Senate. Thus, Senate elections are now the most important elections for gun owners.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Specifically, it can be ratified by 2/3rds of any future Senate. Thus, Senate elections are now the most important elections for gun owners.
On the same token, any subsequent President can remove endorsement of any signed treaty not ratified as Bush Jr. did with Kyoto Treaty. They key is not have any both the Senate and the President in unison when these types of treaties come about.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
I remember they said the same thing about Obamacare.
Agree, but Obama care had a lower majority hurdle to jump than a treaty does. Treaties, Presidential Impeachments and Constitutional Amendments have the high two-thirds Senate vote for a reason.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Agree, but Obama care had a lower majority hurdle to jump than a treaty does. Treaties, Presidential Impeachments and Constitutional Amendments have the high two-thirds Senate vote for a reason.
So basically, once he signs it, it can be ratified at any time in our future by a 2/3rds majority in the Senate. That will happen in the next ten years.

I guess the only question is, how much longer are we going to kick the can down the road?

7n6

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
So basically, once he signs it, it can be ratified at any time in our future by a 2/3rds majority in the Senate. That will happen in the next ten years.

I guess the only question is, how much longer are we going to kick the can down the road?

7n6
Treaties are like legislation, they have to be formally submitted to Congress and passed within that years legislative session or resubmitted formally again next legislative year session. They just do not languish for years waiting on a receptive congress.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope you're right Hootbro and we have nothing to worry about.

On a slightly related topic, you're new avatar is kind of creeping me out.

·
Super Moderator
25,783 Posts
It will never be ratified, and will likely get removed by the next President. You can't get members of congress to agree what color the sky is, so there is no way a majority will vote in favor of our own Constitution and Bill Of Rights to be subverted by a weak, do little organization like the UN.

Reactions: Hootbro

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
I hope you're right Hootbro and we have nothing to worry about.

On a slightly related topic, you're new avatar is kind of creeping me out.
I would not say we have nothing to worry about but to still be ever vigilant with such matters.

I do have to correct myself on the two-thirds comment. Article II, Section 2, Paragraph 2 of the Constitution states "provided two thirds of the Senators present concur". So it is not two-thirds of the total members, but two-thirds present when vote is taken.

As to my Avatar, just some passive-aggressive fun. :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,070 Posts
Interesting to know if the recent re-import ban and this treaty are tied together to be compliant with rules of enforcement.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is what scares me.
2/3rds present.
Wait for opposition to go on vacation, vote and there we have it our revolutionary war!?

·
Super Moderator
25,783 Posts
This is what scares me.
2/3rds present.
Wait for opposition to go on vacation, vote and there we have it our revolutionary war!?
Doubtful at best.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts