AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local shop has a new/used Kel Tec 9mm for sale.
Thin blue finish on the slide. Plastic frame. Long pull/soft breaking DA only trigger. Three dot sights. Comes with original case and papers and two mags. $250.

Seems like quite a bit of play in the slide to frame fit. But it has a good feel to it. The compact size and very slim profile make it look like a very good summer carry pistol.

Worth getting at this price? Any problems known with these?

Thanks in advance for your experiences with these.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That seems to be about the going proce for a blued version of a PF9, which is what is sounds like. I don't have the PF9, I have the P3AT, which is the smaller .380 version. They are not precision guns, but mine has not had a failure in about 200 rounds. the small .380 isn't terribly comfortable, so I don't put a lot of rounds through it.

I like Kel-Tec pistols for what they are, good deep concealment guns. I can carry it almost anywhere wearing almost any kind of clothing and no one will ever notice. In fact, I'm thinking about looking for a PF9 for something between the .380 and my full size XD.

·
Banned
636 Posts
Which Kel-Tec 9mm pistol? They make two, the PF-9 and the P-11. Is it single stack? If so then it's the PF-9 and that's a good price from what I've seen. I have no personal experience with the PF-9, but I do have the P-11. It's a little bigger, but it holds 13 rounds as it's a double stack. It's been reliable enough, but I rarely shoot it. It has the most horrendous trigger I've ever experienced. Reasonably accurate, though. I got it for a smaller carry, but never wound up carrying it because of the trigger. Cheap, crappy plastic sights, too, but that can be fixed. Just went with better carry options for me.

If you do get it, watch out for rust. It's pretty widely known that Kel-Tec's bluing sucks major ass. It is VERY thin and usually not nicely done, either. I had a P3AT in a pocket holster that got a little wet because I was caught out in the rain down in Florida. When I removed the pistol, almost the entire right side of the bluing on the slide was stripped off and basically "transferred" to the holster. I'd never EVER seen that before. :roll:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
thats a decent price.

i prefer the P3AT, i find the small gun very convenant for a CCW pistol. as for accuracy, its not ment for long range shots. although ive found that its a dead on shot at 20feet which is plenty accurate for a CCW.

·
Banned
344 Posts
i have a new pf9 very nice gun, new price is $299. avg. there a little hard to find! the first 25.000 had to be sent back for trigger problems, long time ago!
blueing is sorry as hell and will rust, all i have seen had cooper dime size spots 2 on slide and 3 tiger stripes in ft. of rear sights, 1 day after i bought it had the dealer park it! and i love this gun! also one trick about this gun, after each trigger-pull you need to let trigger fully reset, by basically taking finger and moving it to the ft. of inside trigger guard, or it will not reset, tells you this in not so many words in manual!

·
Registered
797 Posts
i have pf9 [$190], and 2 p11's [$175] my first pf9 cost me $259 out the door. they are all reliable

·
Banned
344 Posts
around Ga./Tn. the cheapest pf9 is $299 +tax. at shows have seen them
for $325.+ and a lot of stores dont have em yet! love mine!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I own a P3AT. They make decent guns, but are very hit or miss. If you end up with a miss, they will make it right when you send it back to them.

For the prices they go for they are good pistols. I personally don't care for the fact the pins used to hold it all together in my P3AT were plastic (2 of them ) and one of which snapped when reassembling. I ended up replacing it with a roll pin from a brake caliper but they make good guns for the price.

I'd say the reliability is around Taurus levels, but with much better customer service.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. It's a PF9.

The bluing looked cheap. But that would be easy enough to blast & park or even apply GC over park as I did on my CZ82.

It was the slimness and light weight that attracted me to it.

About the size of my Hungy P63, but much lighter with the plastic construction.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
If it is a PF-9...

Reliable, snappy recoil but easy to control. 8 rounds (7+1) of 9mm is a good self defense combo. Make sure it is a late model gun!

Ones made before November of last year had a problem with the ejector pin coming out and damaging the slide with a high round count. Kel Tec has a 100% no questions asked warranty on it so they will fix it free if it has that problem, but first check on the left side of the inside of the pistol to make sure this damage has not started to occur.

Also- check the magazine catch. Early models- until early this year- had plastic mag catches because these guns are designed for light, rust-resistant carry. Well... people shot them. A lot. So Kel Tec started using metal mag catches to stop wear problems. Check for a metal catch... aftermarket aluminum ones were available so it could be factory or could have been changed; either way, its an upgrade.

I have one, if you want to try before you buy I will bring mine up next time I visit for a build session (last day of summer class was today, so I'll be going home soon). I have two mags for it (factory) so you can try how it feels swapping magazines and such at the range.

·
Banned
636 Posts
Go to KTOG.org and see what they have to say. It's the biggest Kel-Tec fanboy club in the 'net. Just don't say anything bad about their beloved plastic fantastics. :roll:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

The more I think of it, I want to pass on it. The gaps in the frame to slide fit bother me. Lots of wriggle in the slide as you move it on the frame. Too many cheaply done things in it for my tastes.

Don't get me wrong. I like cheap guns. Well, decent quality inexpensive ones. But even my less expensive Mak varients are made way better than this is. I like good plastic pistols. My XDs are outstanding. I admire Glocks too. But this just isn't in that league.

I believe this is a path I don't want to take.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I had a P3at and a Sub2k. Both ran well. I have sold both. The P3at just had too much of a toy feel about it and was not a good shooter.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
dtemplar said:
Go to KTOG.org and see what they have to say. It's the biggest Kel-Tec fanboy club in the 'net. Just don't say anything bad about their beloved plastic fantastics. :roll:
Tell me about it! :roll:

Great bunch of guys really. Just very devoted to their Kel-Tecs! :smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts