AK Rifles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kbk wz 04. I believe it is also informally known as the Beryl Commando.

Beryls are current Polish issue rifles. They are 5.56X45 NATO. As far as I can find out, they are made in 3 basic configurations. The Beryl (+/-18" barrel), the Beryl Commando (+/- 14" barrel) and the Mini Beryl, which is approximately "krink length".

Anyhow, I was fortunate enough to find most of the really different parts needed to pull this off. There are a few touches it still needs, but basically it's done as far as I think I can go. And I think it looks pretty good.

It was built with 1) original Beryl parts: buttstock, rear trunnion, rail assembly, rear sight block, handguard set, muzzle brake, 2) NDS Tantal receiver, 3) new Bulgarian 5.56 barrel and bolt as well as 4) Tantal donor parts.

My number one son really, really loves it and is trying pretty hard to get me to trade it to him.

I also have a set of the handguards without the integral pistol grip, but I think I like it as I show it here. This one here also has the built in side rails. I think I also have some of the newer clear magazines for it. I'll have to dig them up.

One of the really cool things about this rifle is the top rail. It fits into a couple of grooves on the rear sight block and locks at the rear on a stud attached to the rear trunnion. It has a quick detach lever and it can be on or off in just a few seconds.

It was built by a great builder, West Georgia Arms. He goes by wgallc here on the forum. Thanks for the great work, John. He had a lot of work to do, including re-profiling the bulgarian barrel and shortening the gas system.

Hope you like the way it looks.

myak47 :dance:

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stottman said:
I have a full sized, built from a post sample kit.

Its really the nicest 5.56 AK to shoot...... The perfect amount of recoil; Not too much where it hurts, but at the same time its not boring.

I've seen photos of your full size Beryl. It is very nice.

BTW, what is the length of the barrel on the full size, in inches, if you know? It looks like 18" to me.

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stottman said:
Exact measurment, I have no idea.

Its roughly 18" though.
That's what I thought. The 18" length makes it tough to clone one. On the commando we used a new Bulgarian chrome lined 223, re-profiled to fit. But I do already have an extra set of the handguards (without the pistol grip), so maybe I'll start collecting the rest of the parts....................Especially if my son talks me out of this one.

· Registered
2,501 Posts
I really need to finish mine. Al i need is a Barrel.

just lack motivation.
I have 25 mags for it and 2 cases of ammo.

· Registered
256 Posts
myak47 said:
...The 18" length makes it tough to clone one... I do already have an extra set of the handguards (without the pistol grip), so maybe I'll start collecting the rest of the parts.
I was thinking a tantal cut barrel kit (if you can find one), a barrel blank in .223, and a .223 bolt would be the way to go.

You would need to turn the barrel OD and shorten it. The chamber end should be close, extractor cut needed. I believe Stottman said that the factory barrel isn't threaded.

Not sure about the availability of the bolt. Would a Galil bolt work? I guess it would drop into the tantal bolt carrier.

Of course the last problem is the Beryl rear trunnion, sight block, folding stock, hand guards, rail and flash hider. Shifty has disappeared... Everything else no problem though. lol

Nice rifle btw, very nice...

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
valleyrat said:
Why did you leave out the 3rd rivet hole on the rear trunnion? This is the second build I have seen done that way.

Same build, that's my builder who posted it originally ("build in progress" photo). Anyhow, he's going to install the rivet whenever I can part with it and I drop it back off to him. Thanks for spotting it.

Still love it

myak47

· Registered
2,382 Posts
myak47 said:
valleyrat said:
Why did you leave out the 3rd rivet hole on the rear trunnion? This is the second build I have seen done that way.

Same build, that's my builder who posted it originally ("build in progress" photo). Anyhow, he's going to install the rivet whenever I can part with it and I drop it back off to him. Thanks for spotting it.

Still love it

myak47
Ahh, OK, makes sense now. Thats a very cool rifle you have there, I love the Beryl types.

I wonder why they incorporated that third rivet on the Beryl, perhaps extra stability for the rail?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.