AK Rifles banner

Kassnar Imports SA85M USED Value

505 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  exl007 
#1 ·
Hi. I realize I may be beating a dead horse with this thread, and if so I apologize in advance but I realize the AK market has changed significantly within the last year or so and I was wondering if I could get a value on my Dad's Hungarian SA 85M from Kassnar Imports.

It is a pre-ban that he bought new at a gun show in the 80s for about $400. I still have all of the accessories EXCEPT the box, the oil bottle, 2 of the magazines (1 left I believe), and the original slant brake.

It is used as my Dad and I have both shot it quite a bit over the years, but it still functions, is reasonably accurate and the bore is in good condition. Yes, he did fire corrosive ammo in it and it wasn't cleaned immediately but as soon as he found out what it was he cleaned it and it doesn't appear to have affected it any since the bore is still in good condition, accurate and it functions fine. The piston does appear to have some minor condition issues with it from the corrosive ammo but they are only cosmetic. The furniture is original, but was refinished shortly after he bought it.

Bottom line, I'm wondering if it is something that I should consider retiring as a safe queen/investment and investing in another quality AK to use when I want to shoot AKs or if the value is pretty much as low as it will go at this point barring some catastrophic mishap with it. And, of course, what the actual value is if I had to buy a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 255777 View attachment 255779 Match rifle shooting Air gun Musical instrument Trigger
Microphone stand Iron
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Revolver

See less See more
#3 ·
The refinished furniture does bring the value down some. Most collectors want that blonde Hungarian wood as pristine as possible.

Try using 0000 steel wool to clean up the piston.

Personally I'd keep it and shoot it. I doubt you can find a finer replacement for it.

I've got a 1974 dated SACO import HK91. When I bought it in 2011 it had claw marks and scratches, so I enjoy shooting it rather than letting it languish in a safe. I could have bought a PTR91, but for a bit more I could have the real thing.

#4 · (Edited)
I think I'd keep it too. It's no safe queen, so enjoy it. I say that because a ban era SA85 for around $750-$800 would then need threaded, a gas block, and a new Hungarian furniture set, probably $250. I think there's on on AKFiles for something like $350. Abbadon (?) had them a little while back for $200.

So debanning a rifle like that would cost around $1100-$1200. Is it worth to sell the preban to make a couple Benjamins? Not in my opinion.

Update: Just came across that stock set on AKFiles. It's $275.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.